Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How to fit 70+ machines in the house >

How to fit 70+ machines in the house

How to fit 70+ machines in the house

Old 05-18-2014, 11:40 AM

holy crap,that is awesome to have so many vintage machines.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:49 AM

I feel like I am saving these machines from a worst fate, like the dump or being turned into a lamp. I ordered a walking foot for my featherweight from sew-classic and a 1/4 inch foot with the fence on the side too. These are made for the narrow feed dogs.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ppquilter View Post
I feel like I am saving these machines from a worst fate, like the dump or being turned into a lamp. I ordered a walking foot for my featherweight from sew-classic and a 1/4 inch foot with the fence on the side too. These are made for the narrow feed dogs.
Or worse - a tractor!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:29 PM

Hey Macybaby how about an album on your profile of pics of all your treasures. I am trying to get pics of all my babies on my profile, but noticed I am missing some of my machines from my albums. I love the toy sewing machines too so have at least 50+ of them.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:20 PM

MY, OH MY, OH MY...loved looking at your collection and how you display them. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy
Old 05-18-2014, 04:39 PM

For the record - I have two featherweights, and I'm looking for two more to complete the set - an early Tan 221 and a 222, and I expect I'll pay a pretty penny for both - they aren't a high priority for me, so I'll wait and see if I find one for a good price.

My goal with this is to help others learn about thier machines and get excited about them. That is why I've got such a diverse collection. If live every settles down, I'll get back to catologing and then putting together the information on the machines about needles, shuttles and attachments.

I hope I'll get the portable treadle built this summer, and with the van we're buying the end of the month, I hope DH and I will do some traveling and meet with other treadle enthusiasts to show and share.

BTW- if anyone is traveling through South Dakota and wants to stop in and see the machines, I'm only 4 miles north of I-90, and only 12 minutes away from the "World famous Corn Palace"
Old 05-18-2014, 05:50 PM

Macybaby, if we head out your way to our good friends in SD, I would love to see your machines. DH would too! I just showed him this thread and his response was "She must love those machines. I am sure she has a plan." And you do. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:54 PM

I think the world is divided into people who collect and people who don't!
I was born to be a collector and showed it during my teen years when I asked my parents to transport my Seventeen Magazines that I collected from about 15 to 18 years old...they did it for me and it wasn't until years later after I was married and had a son that I finally told them to send them to the trash! LOL
I think it's hard for some to understand that thrill when you find a certain something to add to your collection and it isn't always rare and unusual but it's just the right one.
As for quilters who want Featherweights...in a way it's a sort of fad to have one...and I do, but many times when I go to a workshop or class I end up needing the machine that does the best applique stitches which ends up being my Viking not my Featherweight. I also have a 301 which is a great substitute for a Featherweight and it has the virtue of being able to lower the feed dogs for free-motion quilting too.
Getting back to your collection it's wonderful that you have the space and the skill to have all the machines that you have right now...hope that you do make a file with all the pictures and accessories for the knowledge that you can pass on.
God Bless and share more when you have things the way you want them....until a new baby joins your herd! LOL
Old 05-19-2014, 11:10 AM

Oh if only dh and I were able to travel to South Dakota..... However it would probably be a tad embarrassing if you and your dh had to use a lil comment my great grandpa used to say if company "tarried a bit long". He would politely stand up, stretch, look at my great grandma and say, "Ma, let's go to bed so these kind folks can go home.".
LOL!!!
K
Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 AM

I love seeing your collection and the displays you are developing. I will have to show this to my DH if he complains about machine #6 which has just arrived, though I am trying to rehome one of my machines. There are also two at my parents' house that I would eventually like to have.

Cheers, K