Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sore finger tips!  Help. >

Sore finger tips! Help.

Sore finger tips! Help.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 AM

I like to use the leather thimble some, find I use my fingernails to push the needle through oftentimes. This is is damaging my nail beds. Got to get this under control. I think I will try the pads next.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:49 AM

I have been using super glue for a long time. Just make sure it is good and dried before quilting again. It protects sore fingers but you can still feel the needle underneath the quilt.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by sewlilly View Post
I have been hand quilting a memory quilt for my sweet niece who recently lost her husband. My poor fingers are paying the price. My index finger has a blister on it and the other fingers are also sore. I've tried to use a thimble but I can't get the hang of it. I just can't feel the thread and needle.

Help please! How do I toughen up my fingertips?
I've bought countless metal thimbles but can't get them to stay on my fingers for hand quilting. I finally cut the finger out of an old leather glove (a woman's dress glove) and wear that. It comes up higher on my finger, stays on, and works very well to protect my finger from the punch of the needle. You might try that and see if it works for you.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:30 AM

I use the leather dots. Never could get the hang of wearing a thimble.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by BettyB View Post
I have been using super glue for a long time. Just make sure it is good and dried before quilting again. It protects sore fingers but you can still feel the needle underneath the quilt.
I also use super glue. I heard it was developed for medical use then turned into other uses. I also have a habit (good or bad?) of pushing my needle with my finger nail not my finger.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:46 AM

How funny, because I do the exact opposite. I use a leather thimble called a Nimble Thimble, but the small is too small and the medium is a tad large, so I use a rubber finger cot under the thimble. I haven't hand quilted in some time, but I do applique, and can't stitch for any length of time without a thimble. I like the Nimble Thimble, because it is a bit longer, and I use it on my middle finger. Also, I find that I tend to push with the side of my finger.

Originally Posted by humbird View Post
I always thought I couldn't use a thimble either, but I persevered. Made myself use it, now I cant get along without it. Not a regular thimble however. Its the finger cut off a rubber glove with a small piece of leather inside. Looks weird, but works for me. That is on my middle finger. On my index finger, I use a finger cote. (sp?) Helps to pull the needle thru. Not sure how I manage to not prick my "under" finger.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:15 AM

When I first started hand quilting if I put the thimble on the middle finger, I found myself using another finger...neighbor, who had been quilting for ,any years said "wear" the thimble on the finger for a day or two and tour body/ brain will accept it.....it did....don't do much hand work now, but when I do, I wear my thimble for the whole day before......
Old 05-23-2014, 01:25 PM

I just investigated this aunt Becky gizmo .......found it on jeans impressions website......watched video from quilting from the heartland.....yes it is an old video and actually on jean browns impressions site she does say she had retired, but her book and aunt Becky are still available. So, of course, I ordered both book and gizmo.....from video her way of h/q looks so smooth........plan for winter is to put one up on my PVC frame and do it! I looked her thimble too, but don't know where she got that! Nice deep impression on top........ Take a look....
Old 05-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

I was told the thimble always go on the middle finger. That's all I've ever seen anyone wear it.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:18 PM

I use a coin thimble - it's a leather thimble w/ a metal "coin" that covers the pad of my middle finger. The leather thimble allows me to be able to feel the needle better. I also couldn't get the feel of a metal thimble. I also realize that I push the needle w/ the pad of my finger, not the top of it.

As far as pricking the finger underneath - i guess after all these years, I've learned how not to do that anymore. LOL!!!