Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting? >

Quilting?

Quilting?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 AM

I was so happy to read Aileen's comment that handquilting is very popular in Great Britain. I think everybody is in such a hurry these days and precuts, quick and easy patterns and "lets get this quilt sewn together so we can send it out to the longarmers" is the way things are going. Kind of sad in my humble opinion. I think most quilts are beautiful no matter how they are quilted, but I don't like the heavily quilted ones done on longarms as much. I agree with Judy that they do not "look" as cosy as ones that are quilted less. I definitely think quilts can be "overquilted", but that's just me and we are all entitled to our own opinions.I prefer making the quilt from start to finish and enjoying all the steps. (except basting - ha ha) I am just happy that quilting is popular and we can all do our own thing. Have fun!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:42 AM

Yes, I must agree. There have been some quilts shown before quilting that use lovely soft colors and pretty patterns then after quilting they look like a "gravel road", IMHO. But some would look wonderful as wholecloth where the focus is the quilting.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 AM

Completely understand what you're saying. You want enough quilting to hold the layers together without them separating through everyday use, including washing, but also as a compatible design element to the piecing. Balance is the key.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 AM

The heaviest quilting I have done was on this quilt. There is microstippling and a few designs on the background.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477052[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477053[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	016.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	477052   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	477053  

Last edited by Pagzz; 05-27-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Everyone has the right to have their quilts quilted or quilt them as they feel they should be.
I prefer an all over meandering for my quilts. My quilt my way. I love quilting, all of it and I only try to please myself.
I'm sure others feel the same way. I don't go to quilt shows, so I can't speak to any of those. I'm sure the quilters are very pleased with their quilts, as it should be.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:56 AM

not sure anyone was trying to dictate to anyone else matters of personal preference. i read people stating opinions is all

aileen
Old 05-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Pagzz, That right there is some exquisite quilting on an equally exquisite applique quilt. THAT is a prime example of what I am talking about when I posted that all the heavily quilted quilts I have seen compliment the piecing, or in this case the applique. The heavy microstippling in the background is necessary to get the leaf motifs to stand out. Just beautiful.

Did you also applique this or was it a client job. Hats off to all parties involved in that gorgeous quilt, well deserving of the ribbon on it.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
not sure anyone was trying to dictate to anyone else matters of personal preference. i read people stating opinions is all

aileen

I agree that all are stating opinions. I am just wishing that those with opinions that say the quilting overwhelms the piecing would show pics of what they are describing. I read blanket statements about overwhelming or looking like a gravel road and I don't understand so I would like examples.

Bottom line it is design choice and I believe most quilters like choosing their designs - fabric, colors, pattern, quilting. If what you want is something to wrap up in and nothing to "compete" with the piecing then meander it in invisible thread and call it good. Or perhaps some want to do the quilt completely on their own start to finish and our piecing and quilting improve as time passes so what I was satisfied doing 10 years ago I find boring now.

But however nicely worded there are negative comments/opinions and I would appreciate "seeing" an example or two.

Last edited by Pagzz; 05-27-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:37 AM

*** Judith Ann "Judy"
*** From another Judy Ann "J J"

*** I'm with you I like soft and cuddlely too.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:40 AM

I quilted it for a friend/customer and she did a beautiful job on the design and applique. It won viewers choice at our guild show in Feb.