Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting? >

Quilting?

Quilting?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 AM

After reading all of these comments, it seems to me that we need to consider if we are thinking about how a quilt looks or feels. I find all the beautiful quilting to be very pleasing to look at, but my favorite quilts for snuggling are tied.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:08 AM

I am afraid to tie a quilt. I tried once and the ties did not hold.. what a disappointment. I guess I need to read up on that technique to see what I did wrong
Old 05-27-2014, 11:09 AM

I enjoy quilts where the quilting complements the piecing (or applique). It should also complement the intent for the quilt. I was in a Melody Crust class last year where we brought in quilt tops to generate ideas to quilt them. So a quilt given as a wedding gift might merit more intricate designs and a quilt intended for a child to drag around and cuddle may be better off with a simple meander or straight lines.

Personally, I'm not wild about the allover mattress style - but there are quilts where it works quite well. I'm developing my skills, so am envious of some of the work I see at quilt shows. I love some of the custom, more densely quilted pieces.

There was a local show I went to a few weeks ago, where there were two quilts that did make me sad. In both cases the piecing was beautiful and creative, and it looked like little to no thought was put into choosing the thread color for the quilting as it really stood out and not in a complementary fashion. Kind of a quilt sneeze. In the case of those quilts, less would have been more, or a few shades darker with the thread and it would have blended better.

Great point by Dunster on the way a photo is angled to highlight or hide the quilting. That in itself takes some thought. I love my digital cameras as it allows me to see quickly if I've got that right or not.

Cheers, K
Old 05-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

A very well deserved ribbon. It's beautiful
Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
The heaviest quilting I have done was on this quilt. There is microstippling and a few designs on the background.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477052[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477053[/ATTACH]
Old 05-27-2014, 12:33 PM

My favorite quilt is incredibly heavily quilted. It is quilted so heavily it is paper thin and bends more than it folds. I do not have a more beautiful quilt in the house, and I display it proudly.

It wasn't made for snuggling in. It serves a different purpose.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2895.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	539.4 KB
ID:	477069  
Old 05-27-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
My favorite quilt is incredibly heavily quilted. It is quilted so heavily it is paper thin and bends more than it folds. I do not have a more beautiful quilt in the house, and I display it proudly.

It wasn't made for snuggling in. It serves a different purpose.
That is beautiful!
Old 05-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

This seems to be a popular topic as there was a lengthy discussion on this just a couple weeks ago. There's room in quilt-land for every type of quilt: tied, hand quilted, machine quilted, heavily quilted, edge to edge, custom etc. Pick the one you like for your quilts and I'll pick the one I want for mine. Neither is 'right or wrong' or 'good or bad'. remember, a beautiful quilt is in the eye of the beholder!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 PM

Just because there is room in quiltland for every quilt does not mean we can't discuss what our favorites are. Thats all this is - a discussion. I find it interesting to hear people's different points of view. Nobody is saying one is right or one is wrong, just our preferences. It would be pretty boring if we all liked the same thing.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:31 PM

I like the detailed quilting on a whole cloth! Then you can appreciate the art and talent it takes to create it in a large complete design.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:11 PM

I am in awe of some of the heavy machine quilting I've seen on Pinterest and various blogs, as a representation of the extraordinary skill of these quilters. These quilts strike me as vehicles to display this evolving art of machine quilting. I just hope that all quilts will not start being judged according to this developing aesthetic, which shows what is possible with the amazing machines we have available today, and more simply quilted quilts be found lacking because they are not as heavily or as diversely quilted. The main thing, I think, is that the quilting enhance the quilt. Sometimes that will mean more and fancier quilting, and sometimes not.