Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I've lost my mind... >

I think I've lost my mind...

I think I've lost my mind...

Old 05-28-2014, 11:57 PM

Why not borrow or rent a camper for a week or two to see how you'd like it before buying one? Some of the newer ones with the slide-out rooms are very roomy.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:49 AM

We own a 1972 Winnebago motor home. Tan/white and interior is the original green/orange/brown. It has a bath/shower, AC and heat, three burner stove and oven, all the comforts of home. We can run off electricity or battery so I can take my sewing machine if I want. We can go where we please and come home when we are ready. Much better than a stationary cabin somewhere. If we don't like the neighbors or the noise we can move. We don't go a lot so it's all we need. We tent camped with five kids all over the Western US and Canada. What a hoot that was!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:10 AM

We have retired to a small farm where my husband can garden and manicure the yard to his hearts content and I can quilt to mine. It is quiet and beautiful and I have all the amenities of the city and no noise. Yes we have to travel for food and doctors etc but that is a day away and enjoyable as well. We spend our winters in Texas in a seniors park and the same is true there. Retirement is good!
Old 05-29-2014, 05:36 AM

I say GO FOR IT! I have been sewing in my 5th wheel when we travel around for about 10 years now. I love those times. My husband is usually fishing and I am just sewing away to my hearts delight. My little Chi is there to keep me company - usually sitting on my lap while I sew.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 AM

They are so darn cute !!! I would love to have one.....and yes, I have looked a little....hehehe. I just wanted it for a playhouse in my back yard. Go for it !!!
Old 05-29-2014, 05:59 AM
Banned

This is a fun thread!

I really loved that little bus that I linked about a page back.... ... I'm thinking my son needs a little project.

For a different business that I own, I drew out the plans for the interior of a 18'x8' cargo trailer and made it into a rolling store. Heat, A/C, solar panels, batteries, generator, sink, hot water, ice maker... it turned out pretty nice. It's tempting to gut that trailer and turn it into a sewing-mobile.

Then get a motorhome that is beefy enough to pull this trailer... lol... there's enough room in the trailer to put a Vespa or something to get around once parked.

I will say... the 5th wheel thing is nice.. you can drop the trailer and still have the truck to go fill up with more fabric and goodies.

That pink trailer I linked to is *awesome*... that would be a show stopper at campgrounds and at gas stations. It would be *really* fun to own.

About 10 years ago, I did have a 1969 vintage trailer - and I can't tell you how fun it was to own that. It got more attention than the million dollar motorhomes that would park next to me at places. Too fun.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:23 AM

Jan in VA......C O Z Y....I like it!!!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:42 AM

Well in my case I bought a trike -motor cycle so I can go on some trips but he doesn't go for more than a few hours anyway. I bought a three wheeled auto-cycle in USA called an auto - moto. Still need to do more driving before test but I hope to go out of town too. We are in country area so I want to drive to coffee shop / grocery store.

Was a camper over 30 yr but second husband prefers boating. Don't mind being home to sew but go to Fl winters and have all supplies set up there also. I miss the travelling around the country.

Jan --so cozy of a place . Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:03 AM

I did a lot of quilting in a 30 ft 5th Wheel trailer. I cannot say I loved it because I was usually at an outside table, and every time I set things up, I also had to take them down again. I got a few quilts done that way, but truly prefer being in my wonderful sewing room.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 AM

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful place. I would love to see photos of it as it looks now. Maybe nothing has changed, which would be wonderful...anything you did I'm sure enhanced it's beauty. Congratulations on a wonder retreat.