Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How does Jenny do it. >

How does Jenny do it.

How does Jenny do it.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
I had a class with Jenny a few weeks ago....she is so upbeat, motivating and delightful- everyone loved her! Her philosophy is to enjoy the process and not stress. Her finished quilts are NOT perfect if you inspect them- wheat recipients really do that though!? I"m not a huge fan of precuts and went essentially to meet her because she does do wonderful things, but her trunk show was amazing. There were so many ideas she showed on a design board from each block...different layouts with a ton of results. Her Husband was her helper and was awesome, too. She does move fast and even if you don't like precuts- she has a lot to offer!!! Oh, her entire family is involved with the company- computer stuff, camera work, ordering etc.
I was there that same day for the trunk show and was impressed with her "off stage" enthusiasum and sense of humor. With a large family, as she has, both stand her in good stead as well as her ability to laugh at herself without embarrassment. She shows a great deal of thoughtfulness for her followers as she left a stack of signed posters for Q & L to distribute later to those who attended. Her husband was also a delight!
Old 05-31-2014, 07:45 PM

I don't think the way Jennie does or doesn't do something is going to change the way we, as individuals, work. If I'm a fanatic about accuracy, I'm going to continue to be a fanatic whether Jennie is or not. I personally don't care if she is accurate or neat or not. If someone were new to quilting or just sewing in general, she makes it seem not so intimidating or scary. I think she is an absolute delight to watch and listen to. Her friendly, relaxed, as long as you're trying and having fun attitude is refreshing and enjoyable. Keep on doing what you do any way you want to do it, Jennie.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:28 PM

I love these ladies. I didn't try to quilt for a long time because I could not get them as accurate as I wanted them to be. Then I went to a judged quilt show and noticed that lots of them were not perfect..so like the Amish, who deliberately make theirs a bit imperfect because only God is perfect...I do try for perfect..but never happens..but the people I make them for seem to like them anyway! even other award winners when demoing do not always get them absolutely perfect..
Have fun!
Old 06-01-2014, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023 View Post
I love watching both of these ladies. If I had to make sure my quilts had to be perfect, I would no longer quilt. I have enough stress in other parts of my life.
Thank you,,, well said.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:15 AM

I started out with Sewing With Nancy many, many years ago, Eleanor back in the 70's, added Jenny in 2013, and without them I wouldn't even know what a sewing machine was. Wouldn't know what life would be like without them. I've spent many happy hours learning with these fabulous ladies and with the help of God will spend many many more.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:19 PM

This is my thought on the subject. There is a completed quilt on the wall behind Jenny. Why would she begin a new quilt. Its a demo! She is sewing and pressing and cutting purely to give the viewer information that would help them start the project, iron out problems and overcome nervousness people endure when beginning something new to them.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:36 PM

I love her, her work is beautiful and that makes me accept my less than perfect work. It seems not so bad.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
I do think she's of the mind set that quilting should be fun and let's try to be as accurate as possible without stressing over everything. I'm thinking she is giving us the gist of the pattern and it's up to us to do with it what we want. I wouldn't watch as much if it looked stressful and not fun! Her attitude is something I would love to emulate in everything I do! Would love to go to the shop and meet her someday!
I'm with you. Neither quilting nor anything else that's supposed to be fun is fun if the goal is absolute perfection. Years and years ago, one of my teaching colleagues--a man who did wonderful bulletin boards for his classroom--said to me, "It's the effect you want, not perfection!" And he was right. At least I think he was right or maybe all these 50 years later I really should have measured the margins of the construction paper before I put the pictures on it! Maybe it's not too late for the bulletin board police to get me! HELP! froggyintexas
Old 06-01-2014, 11:06 PM

[QUOTE=jclinganrey;6737231]IMHO - I think she's presenting an idea; a concept; introducing a new pattern. I don't think her intent is to focus on precision and accuracy because that's up the the individual quilter. Her objective is to generate excitement, hold your interest ((our attention spans are much shorter than they used to be)) and drive traffic to her site, which she does quite well.

Ditto - Jenny is "demonstrating" not really making the quilt on film. She has others to help her with that process. She's just trying to get your creative juices flowing and excited to try new ideas and techniques. I enjoy her videos immensely.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:15 AM

I enjoy making technically challenging quilts. I love Jenny Doan's videos and frequently have them on in the background while I'm sewing. Her great personality and approach have appeal across all types of quilting. These videos are a marketing tool for her company (and likely something she really enjoys doing). I think she is doing a great job appealing to a younger and busier audience. Keep up the great work MSQC!