Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother machine reviews please.... >

Brother machine reviews please....

Brother machine reviews please....

Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 PM

I bought a $150 Brother from Walmart to try out and kept it for two months, until my husband felt I should have something better. That little machine was great.

Also, I think your sister should quilt more. She definitely has an eye for color. That quilt is great!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:02 PM

Love the quilt! I have a brother 7700 from Costco for less than $200(3 yrs old). I am currently using it to quilt but am also teaching my granddaughters some basic sewing. It has some fancy stitches that I have tried a few times. No problems.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 PM

I have always had brother machines, from the very inexpensive on up. I currently have a innov-is 80 and the PQ 1500. LOVE them both! I have never had issues with any of my brother machines
Old 06-02-2014, 08:36 PM

I have a Brother CE5500PRW that I bought on sale at Walmart seveal years ago. I paid around $100 for it . I have had no problems with it. It has 50 built in decorative and quilting stitches, the feeddogs drop and it has the automatic needle threader. It came with a quilting foot plus 5 or 6 other attachments. It sews like a dream and can handle several layers of heavy fabric such as denim without missing a beat or should I say stitch. LOL I love it!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:39 PM

PC-420 off amazon is in your rand, very popular. I have my SQ9050 from walmart that I adore, also my mechanical XL-3500i I can't complain it always worked. the brother PC-20 has great feature for the price and is more durable than the plastic models
Old 06-02-2014, 09:03 PM

I have three brother machine. And love them all. My first sewing machine that I bought about 45 years ago was a brother never had a problem with it. They make a great machine. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:37 PM

First, let me say your daughter's quilt is beautiful!

My first sewing machine was the Brother Project Runway LB-6800-PRW (same as SE-400, which is the non PRW). It was a combo sewing/embroidery machine. It could SEW great (and the little 4" embroidery was fun, too). Made lots of projects. Lots of bells and whistles for the price ($350-$500 depending on if you buy new or refurbished).

HOWEVER, AS FAR AS QUILTING is concerned, it could piece just fine .... but my 1st quilting class was a quilt-as-you go "Cotton Theory" method where I would fold and sew multiple layers - and this little brother couldn't handle it all, even with a walking foot (which I hated). The stitches were very inconsistent and it could NOT go up and over the layer bumps/intersections. The instructor tried as well, and after numerous failed attempts, asked the store to pull out a PFAFF Ambition for me.

What a difference! The Pfaff sewed through all layers without any problem or hesitation whatsoever. Perfect, beautiful, even, consistent stitches. PLUS, it has a BUILT-IN walking foot the I could engage with a push of a lever. PLUS I was able to use a quilting 1/4" foot at the same time. I traded in my Brother on the spot. The Pfaff Ambition 1.0 was $700 - so a little more, but I am so glad I changed.

If your daughter is only going to sew or piece, almost any machine that can sew a straight stitch well, will do the job. But if she plans to do quilting - especially the fold-and-go or quilt-as-you go method that requires sewing through multiple layers, she may want to consider a more robust machine. I would highly recommend looking at models with built-in walking foot (Pfaffs is known as "IDT"), and larger throat space, which will cost more than the models sold on Amazon, Costco, JoAnne, Wal-Mart, etc. You/she will need to look at your local Sewing machine dealer and test drive a few. Most will provide free machine usage classes.

This was my experience - hope it helps! Good luck!

Last edited by icul8rg8r; 06-02-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:17 AM

After seeing that quilt, i cannot imagine that sewing was a whim. I would go for more machine. That quilt is awesome!! But, that is " me". I tend to take purchases a step or more beyond what I "should". I think I'm worth it! Lol!

sandy
Old 06-03-2014, 03:50 AM

I have to say I agree with everyone here. I have a Brother embroidery only machine, and a Baby Lock Unity which is made by Brother that are awesome. Bought my sister the project runway machine and she loves it - a real workhorse. Never a problem at all.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

Three cheers for the basic Brothers! I have three of them in different basic models, all Walmart/Costco variety, and they are wonderful. Don't need lessons with such a basic machine. Manuals are very good and there are videos too. They are not fussy about thread and I am one of those who only changes a needle when it breaks. I can't say enough good things about them for the price and what you get.