organizing books

Old 05-25-2014, 04:47 AM

Most of my self made lists are made using Excel program. I include the title and author's name and then if they're specific, type of quilt patterns such as scrappy, medallion, bargello, etc. I have my regular quilt pattern books in my filing cabinet drawer and my magazines such as Love of Quilting, Quilter's World, etc each in their own little book holder going from left (oldest) to right (newest). If there's a quilt pattern that sparked my interest I added a little sticky note on the top edge sticking out so I can see it and I added the name of the quilt pattern.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:17 AM

Would love to have a good answer for this myself!
Old 05-25-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
Or if you have access create a database for your quilting stuff.
I did this. I track things like Books, patterns, fabric, even my sewing machines (last serviced, warranty status, serial numbers, etc)

I made reports and forms and everything, so it's just like a program.
I export the reports to PDF format and then put them on my phone or tablet so I can check before I buy something (again) or assume I have it and get home and find out I don't.

As long as you keep it up to date it's a very good way to go.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:49 PM

I organize by type or method... Paper Piecing, Bargello, Scrappy, etc.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:40 PM

I organize my books by subject:

machine quilting
applique
basic reference
block compilations
patterns only
Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 PM

I do the same thing with Excel. I also added columns for technique or style like scrappy, strips, wall hanging, baby, full, clothing, bags, applique, patriotic, log cabin, or whatever your favorites are. I use the sort and filter to quickly view them by what I am looking for. Oh and there also a column for wip, ufo, and finished.

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking of all the free patterns on the internet, why not add a column for the hyperlinks. I've got to do this.

Oh and actual books I store by author or design company and then by technique.

Last edited by Lioness3xs; 06-03-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: I thought of something else
Old 06-04-2014, 04:09 AM

I use an app called "My Stuff" on my iPhone/iPad. It's a database program. I keep all of my rulers, patterns, magazines, books, etc on it.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:50 PM

I have all my fiction at Goodreads. Haven't added quilt books yet.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:41 PM

I'm definitely not as 'techie' as lots of you are out there! I keep a printed list of books I already have, so I don't buy again. My books are alphabetically filed in the bookshelf, and magazines in separate sections according to the name, along with patterns. Plus, I have a recipe box with subsections for various categories: scrappy, king size, children, babies, primitive, applique, etc., and have referenced patterns, magazines and books with notations as to which section, date, pages, etc. When I need ideas, I do through the recipe box and find the cards for that category, and I know just where to go to review the information for quilts I may want to make.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:21 AM

I love all the suggestions regarding using an ap for the books. I took care of my magazine problem by pulling out pattern pages I liked. I threw so much but you can sell the pages you don't want on eBay. I then put each page in a clear plastic, 3 ring binder type sleeve. You can sort by quilt size, pattern name, or anyway you like with color coded or alphabetized pages. My 10 year magazine (s) subscription are now in 2 binders and I actually know what I have.