Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother machine reviews please.... >

Brother machine reviews please....

Brother machine reviews please....

Old 06-04-2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by hopingtobegood View Post
I have 3 Brothers, 9000 model, 9050, and the innovis QC 1000 sewing embroidery machines. Have not had any trouble with any of them and one of the reasons I like them so well is all the attachments, many varied stitching feet they come with, at no extra cost and many different built in stitches. I think they are a great manufacturer, wishing and wishing for a Brother Dreamweaver, maybe someday. Highly recommend them for a beginner quilter.

I also have a QC1000 (which they don't make anymore) and I have had it for 7 years never a problem. And at the same time I bought a serger which took a header off the table I had it on when I bumped the table . Only thing I had to replace was the thread guide. Everything else worked fine. I am pleased with the quality.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:54 AM

I have the Brother SE350 which I purchased from Wal-Mart in 2008 for a little less than $400. It is an embroidery machine but I rarely use that feature. It is by far my favorite machine. It has a memory feature that allows you to turn off the machine and come back later with the same settings that you were using before. Very easy to change those settings. I have made hundreds of projects with this machine. I make samples for a LQS and am known how I love to applique which this machine is great for.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:56 AM

I have Brother Innovis NX 4500---Quilt Club---had it for a year now and really like it---think it was about $1100 and my dealer is great
Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 AM

If she is only going to have one machine, based on her incredible natural talent, I would suggest one with a few extra stitches. Introduce her to Tula Pink designs I bet she will love her designs!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I have the Brother SQ9000. It will be 4 years old next month and has NEVER had to go to the shop. It has loads of attachments, and 80 stitches. I am very happy with this and can recommend it to anyone. Jim only had to pay $199 at Walmart.
When I first started quilting I also bought the Brother SQ9000. I also got it at Wal*Mart for $200. The only thing I didn't like was the harp size. It was small but I managed to do SITD when quilting with it. I now have a Bernina 820 but, if I take any lessons, I take my SQ9000 with me. It's light and easy to manage.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:16 AM

If you decide on a Brother, don't purchase at WalMart...unless you want a throw away machine if somethinmeg goes wrong. Go for a Janome....even a slightly used machine. Check out machines at Brubakerssewing.com and Allbrands.com before buying.
Ask for Amy at Brubakers for the best deal on a used Janome. Many times, these are trade show machines, only used a few hours.
As beautiful as her quilts are, and as creative as she is, she needs a really great quilting machine. A 6600 would be fantastic, but if that is too costly, try the 3160 with the auto thread cutter....couldn't live with out it for piecing.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:35 AM

Very cute quilt! I love her blocks. They have such depth......they look like roses, I just realized!

She's obviously an artist. Encourage her all you can! And yes, I think Brothers are good buys. MY DIL whose sewing consists mainly of homemade dog collars (she makes some really adorable ones) has an inexpensive Brother she bought at Wal-Mart several years ago and has never had a problem with it. I have a more expensive Brother 450Q (a gift); it's a computerized machine. I'm a long time Singer woman, but I like the Brother, too.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:36 AM

I have had a cheap Brother and am now using an expensive one with all the bells and whistles. The cheaper one was a little work horse, ended up selling it to a friend who needed that type of machine. My only complaint was the narrow throat as I love to free motion quilt. My expensive one has a nice wide throat plus all the other goodies that make it a pleasure to use. I went to a quilt retreat this past weekend, took my light weight Janome and kept looking for the thread cutter!!! I would highly recommend a Brother.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 AM

I have the brother csi 6000 (or something like that) it is a simple machine, cost about 200.00 a walmart and it works like a charm for me. Its a basic machine. It sews I put a 1/4 inch foot on it to help me with my sewing issues and I love it. I sew a lot but do have things quilted by a seamstress (jaba or themamahauser) as I don't like sewing big things as I get easily frustrated. It a good machine for a little amount of money in my book.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:59 AM

Love her quilt-does anyone know how to do that? A great scappy quilt and great use of left over batiks. And love my Brother machine. I have a New Home, a old Singer and a Brother and a Husqvarna Topaz. Sew most on OLD Singer and Brother. Any hints how to do this pattern would really be a appreciated. Thanks