Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother machine reviews please.... >

Brother machine reviews please....

Brother machine reviews please....

Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 AM

Check out this Brother Project Runway PC420 PRW, it has auto threader, auto thread cutter, knee lift and 294 stitches. What a deal. And it weighs only 17 pounds. I might get one to take to class. BTW, I have the Brother Quattro, and Symphony. I can't say enough great things about Brother...

https://www.brother-usa.com/homesewi...W#.U488UhaCjVI

Last edited by Girlfriend; 06-04-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 AM

Wow, I have really enjoyed reading the replies...just emailing her now to tell her about all the replies I have gotten so far.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

BabyLock is the big brother to Brother machines, and a friend has the top of the line Quattro and loves it . When she lets me use it (when we are sewing together and she has 8 babylock/brother machines) its a good machine ..
I have a Pfaff 1.5 Ambition and am a bit disappointed that it didn't come with the ability to put more embroidery stitches on it. No USB port .. But otherwise the machine is fantastic for quilting etc.. but doesn't have the thread cutter like the brother machines do .. Look at some of the dealers to see if they have a refurbished machine. One of our local dealers will take your old machines in (they give you some $$ on it or use it towards a trade in)then they refurb them and guarantee them for a period of time, and are at a lower cost.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:45 AM

Beautiful--I love the bright colors--for a newby she did a great job.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:50 AM

What a beautiful quilt, I love the colors.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 AM

I have other machines but one I use most is the Brother SQ9000 because of dogs as it has a needle up/down and the button to sew without a foot peddle and 80 stitches. It has been a great machine, light and I would get another brother if I wanted a machine. I got this on Overstock.com and it was less than $150. It has sewn a lot and am now making quilt blocks on it. Tell her to check Overstock and dealer was in AL, can't think of their name but others on here have mentioned them. Or look at a local dealer. As I have been sewing 55 years do not need dealer support.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:17 AM

This question has been asked and answered at least a thousand times on this board. And here we go again....the answer to this questions always seems to be the same: For availability (Walmart carries them), price ($100-$150) and durability the Brother CS1000i is the machine for you. Right now it's $149 at WalMart. It has many of the features of more expensive machines: Automatic thread cutter. Automatic threading. 60 decorative stitches. And it comes with a quilting platform which, if bought separates, can cost as much at $75-100. It also comes with as many different feet as you will likes need for any sewing project. This machine will fit her needs and it's a bargain. I paid close to $200 for this machine in 2005. I'm still using it with no problems.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:02 AM

I have the low end Brother XL5130 (approx $150)that has been my work horse machine until I had the wonderful blessing of an opportunity to by a high end machine. I have made clothes, dolls, quilts, curtains, etc. with it, travelled cross country with it under a greyhound bus twice, and it is still a sound machine. When it came time to buy a high end, of course I bought another Brother. My quilting machine is the Innov-is NX650Q ( approx $1000) When I bought it, I got the extension table, knee control arm, and the walking foot free because I bought the demo model and paid cash. I will always be a Brother owner. I have not had to send either of them in for service so I will remain a Brother. I have nothing against any other brand, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 AM

I have several Brother sewing machines. For a basic machine, several years ago I purchased a VX-1500. It is a mechanical sewing machine with 9 built-in stitches. To start out with, I think it would be a great choice. I also have a sewing/embroidery sewing machine and a serger(which I love!) As with anything, it is a personal choice. You will find some people hate Brother machines and others love them. What I will say, Brother has a truly outstanding manual. Much better manual than my Bernina has. For a beginner, I think a mechanical Brother would be a excellent choice. My friend asked me to help her make curtains and I asked her if she had a sewing machine or should I bring some of mine. I did bring my Brother serger but she had 2 Brother sewing machines, but she said they didn't work well. So, since she only lives a few miles from me, if I couldn't get her Brother sewing machine I would run home and bring one of mine to her home. So I got to her house and saw a Brother basic mechanical machine,covered with dust. It had obviously not been used in ages. I had brought some sewing machine oil, a special screw driver I had found at my local hardware store which makes getting the plate screws loose better than any screwdriver I have.I got the plate off, cleaned the lint and dust out of the botten area, took out the bobbin and the bobbin case and cleaned that as well. After cleaning, I oiled the machine, put the bobbin case back into the machine. They had the manual, I looked up how to thread and how to fill the bobbin, did both and fired her up. She worked flawlessly. Oh, and the reason the machine wouldn't work for her? She had the needle in incorrectly. I honestly don't know how that poor machine worked at all! Also she had a thick cord wound on the bobbin. I asked her what kind of thread this is. She said she didn't know. I got most of her curtains sewed. What we didn't get sewed she sewed herself! this poor lady hand sewed everthing she had to sew. She can now use her machine and she doesn't get frustrated and give up machine sewing and going back to sewing everything by hand.I recommend Brother sewing machines.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:07 PM

I bought a brother cs6000i 8 years ago and have had no problems with it. I only paid $149 here in Canada. It has the stitches I like and it is lightweight easy to take to classes. My daughter liked it so well I bought her one, and 2 of my friends have bought them for for classes because they sew so well and are lightweight.