Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Knots knots knots! >

Knots knots knots!

Knots knots knots!

Old 06-04-2014, 02:34 AM

Sometimes I will use the thread on a bobbin to do handwork, rather than a spool, and it never occurred to me that when doing that I needed to knot the opposite way because the thread on the bobbin is wound on there the reverse of the spool. I was constantly getting knots. Someone on here mentioned the need to knot the loose (not freshly cut) end of the thread when working off a bobbin. Duh! Now I no longer have such problems. As long as I remember right away when I start....
Old 06-04-2014, 03:56 AM

When I took home economics at university (boy, does that date me!) we were always told to never use a thread more than 1 yard long. We had to pull the thread from nose to outstretched fingertips. After more than 60 years I still measure my thread this way. Also to thread the needle from the end coming off the spool is a great idea and it always works for me.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:45 AM

I just run my thread through a candle. Some of these other suggestions are probably better, but the candle helps.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 AM

Have you tried using "Thread Heaven" or beeswax?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
When hand sewing, I regularly hold my work up with the thread attached and the needle hanging down. I let the thread and needle dangle until it stops spinning. The spinning is the twists that developes when hand sewing. The twists in my thread cause the thread to double back and cause knots. There is also thread wax that can help with hand sewing.
This works the same way we used to untangle our phone cords (this dates me!) by letting the hand receiver dangle by the cord until it was straight.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
Knot the other end of the thread. When threading my needle I take the end coming off the spool, take it through the eye, then cut and knot the end of the thread attached to the spool. You can also use thread conditioner.
This is how I was taught also. Thread heaven is a good product, really like that little blue box

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 AM

I have a love for hand piecing as well as hand quilting. In the beginning I had the same problem as you and spent a lot of time untangling knots. As you get better you realize that you are making those knots because you keep flipping your thread in circles. Try using thread only as long as your forearm that is form wrist to elbow. You will find as you improve the length of thread you use will grow longer. Also keep your thread moving left to right or right to left as the case may be so you are not putting those knots in it. You will find your stitches and enjoyment improving as you gain confidence in your work.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 AM

If you don't have anything else, run the thread over a candle.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 AM

I constantly had a problem with my thread twisting and knotting. I gather 4 or 5 stitches on my needle before pulling it through. A friend suggested that I pull the needle through with my left hand (I'm right handed) every so often. What a difference! Problem almost totally eliminated.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 AM

I had the same problem when embroidering and found I was also turning my needle with each stitch. I have to make a very concentrated effort to roll the needle back to left to keep twisting at a minimum. And, when sewing grandmother flower garden hexies together, I was trying to use up all my older thread and found that the polyester thread twisted the most.