Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does not sewing make you crabby? >

Does not sewing make you crabby?

Does not sewing make you crabby?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Preeti View Post
I try to sew everyday. When I am not sewing in reality, I am working out some pattern in my head. The only times when I have gone without sewing is when I am on a vacation. But even then, I am getting inspired or just doodling a pattern or an idea...And as far as ice-cream goes, well, I am off sugar and I am loving it...
Pretti, does it make that much of a difference, being off sugar?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:09 PM

I guess I am in the minority here. I can go weeks (months?) without quilting and not missing it. However, there are days that I HAVE to quilt. It seems almost like "anxiety" if I can't get into my sewing room. There are nights that I fall asleep planning quilts and I absolutely have to put these thoughts to paper (sketching out the blocks), look through my stash or just sit and work on my current project the following morning. If I can't quilt (or do quilt related things) on these mornings, my day seems to be incomplete. Anyone else "dream" quilts?

Thanks for starting this thread!
Old 06-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Anyone else "dream" quilts? Thanks for starting this thread!
Anita, I don't know if I dream quilts because I rarely remember what I dream, but yesterday driving home I thought about how I was going to arrange the quilt I'm working on now and my 45 minute ride seemed much shorter!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Definitely! I take my coffee into my sewing room in the morning and spend at least 1/2 hour (more if I'm lucky) in my happy place sewing and creating.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 PM

Not sewing doesn't make me crabby. I feel bad though, because the sewing machine is on the dining room table, so that makes it difficult to eat at the table. I have put it on the floor when we wanted to use the dining room table, but it still takes up space.

I haven't felt much like sewing lately. I've been too tired. But I've started it up again. I have a quilt I need to finish and some blocks for a block exchange for which I've fallen way behind. Then, of course there are all the UFO's. Maybe I'll feel motivated to work on those next. I try to get dressed each day, but don't always.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:45 AM

Not so much crabby but I experience a deep in the center of my being longing to create. Sewing is my place to express my creativity and imagination. I am a traditionalist in my quilting choices but the stimulation of blending colors and the exercise of putting small pieces of fabric together to make a whole piece makes me just feel so good, fulfilled and mentally strong. Yes, I need a sewing, quilting, planning fix every couple of days or my days just are not complete and I not at my best.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I have to be careful sewing does not become addictive at the expense of all other things. It could very easily become that way for me and since I'm retired now my time is less clock specific. Before I know it I've spent the day either sewing or planning a project and the day is gone. I don't want to be so one dimensional so have to put the brakes on sewing sometimes. I must admit however I am a happier person when I can sew some.
Thank you for your thoughts. I have thought of this from time to time as I look toward retirement in a couple of years. I was wondering if this my passion would become a single focus and that I would become a hermit happily quilting along and not getting out with others. I am a single, so it could be easy to just slip into my sewing area and not come out very often. Thanks for the reminder that balance in all things is healthy.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

When I'm not sewing I'm thinking about it!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
Pretti, does it make that much of a difference, being off sugar?
It makes a world of difference. I feel soooo much better and have much more energy. I eat two eggs for breakfast (fried in butter), and that keeps me away from all snacking until about 11:30. Then it's time to make lunch.
So, get rid of the sugar and eat more of the natural fats. My brain needs fat, and when it gets it, I feel less like picking up a snack every time I go through the kitchen. Lost 30 pounds without even thinking about it.
Then I feel more like quiltling. LOL
Old 06-05-2014, 04:01 AM

Let me add to the yesses! I am in the process of moving from overseas and waiting for a house to be completed in July, and haven't been able to sew in probably 6 weeks, with 6 more to go. Humphh. But, if I can't sew, it's nice to live vicariously through the ladies on the QB who can and are making beautiful quilts. Thanks for keeping me sane ladies!