Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recent finds at local Goodwill >

Recent finds at local Goodwill

Recent finds at local Goodwill

Old 06-05-2014, 07:05 AM

Today I went to the GW pound store and luck up on finding a brand new unopened package of miniature log cabin
Templates from heartland. Was out looking for some party decoration for granddaughter Hawaiian theme birthday
Party & did find some Lei necklace and pArty latern lite! So I'm good to go now!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:13 AM
SMR

Originally Posted by jennieb View Post
Hmmmm, I live in NWOhio. Wonder where your GW store is located??? I need to check it out!!!
I'm in Tiffin, Ohio. The Goodwill here is where I've found bargains recently. I was very lucky with the machine. The outside of the case was very dirty but machine inside was perfect. I've got 2 machines down in need of servicing that I can't afford so it was real blessing. I agree most of pricing at many Goodwill stores is getting close to retail and that they have to have donations to sell--I regularly donate as I try to downsize--but they need to remember they're thrift stores.Happy hunting to all the bargain hunters out there.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Good for you. Our Goodwill usually doesn't have anything but junkie looking stuff and lots of used clothing. They have has a couple sewing machines that looked damaged.

My local Goodwill must get what doesn't sell at yours Jingle. Most of what they have is junk and in the craft area, they don't even have much of that. I envy those who live near a good store.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 AM

I have just about sworn off the GW stores all around middle TN. It seems like they have become aware of what they have, and price it accordingly..... I copped an attitude the last couple of times I went in one because I wanted to check on lowering the price of a machine that I was considering, and asked some grungy looking guy if I could speak with a manager and he growled at me "I am a manager"......I said thanks a lot and left the store, and haven't gone back since.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 AM

The GWs here charge 39.99 to 69.99 for old sewing machines regardless of condition. There are couple of outlets where they sell items by the pound. I found some men's shirts for a future quilt. The "hunt" is part of the adventure.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 AM

Goood shopping
Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 AM

Congratulations to everyone on their scores!

I am still haunting Goodwill and other resale shops searching for mine. You all give me hope!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Yay for you and your find! My goodwill often does not realize that it is not a department store. I'm hard pressed to find a scrap of less than desirable fabric for under $2.00. Last sewing machine I saw there was a beat to hell beginner machine they wanted more for than they want at Walmart.
Our local GW does not know how to price things properly, lots of stuff is tagged at near new store price. Frustrating as it is donated by everyday people like us, almost never find fabric of any kind. I look at the sheets for charity quilt backs, so that is my fabric but only get cotton.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:33 AM

I was surprised to learn that the Goodwill stores are 'for profit' stores. The owner does give employment opportunities to folks and is good training in people skills, etc. For that reason I will continue to support them.....but certainly am not happy about the increased prices on everything.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:59 AM

My GW does not usually have any fabric or sewing notions either. I do like to stop to browse their clothing while I'm there and as a lot of people have said, their price is a little high for used clothing.