Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Recent finds at local Goodwill >
  • Recent finds at local Goodwill

• Recent finds at local Goodwill

Old 06-07-2014, 05:00 AM

Lucky find for you. Like others my local GW doesn't seem to have a selection of sewing items. I went looking for mens shirts to use for fabric but they were priced very high, could buy new fabric for less money. That doesn't stop me from stopping there periodically.
    Old 06-07-2014, 06:36 AM

A couple of weeks ago I drove from eastern Wisconsin to central Minnesota and stopped at every Goodwill on the way. Like the posters above, I found a LOT of variation in pricing for exactly the same thing, and a huge difference in what they're selling. One Goodwill had almost half the store filled with new things at new prices: ziplock bags, cleaning supplies, brooms, etc. Much cheaper at WalMart. One had paperback books marked at 99 cents and another had the same books marked at $4.99. Found only one "beater" sewing machine and no fabrics anywhere.

Congratulations to the original poster who found the fabulous buys - we're all envious!
    Old 06-07-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Normabeth
    Lucky you, My Goodwill usually doesn't have anything but junkie looking stuff and lots of used clothing that I would of thrown out..
    sounds like our local GW. I have never seen anything sewing or fabric related there. I have thrown away nicer things than I have seen there. There is also a Salvation Army store but you can't even hardly get the door open much less walk around because it is so junky which is a shame because it's a relatively new store building.
    I'm totally jelly of y'all that are scoring some great stuff
    Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 AM
    Power Poster

WOW, great find for you but how sad that they don't realize of the value of the items that has been donated.
    Old 06-07-2014, 07:36 AM

I've never found anything sewing related at any of the Goodwill stores around here....but that doesn't mean that I will stop looking. I almost always find something that needs to come home with me....besides I have a granddaughter that grows out of clothes at the speed of time...
    Old 06-07-2014, 10:00 AM

Although I have donated many items to Goodwill over the years, I have never purchased anything there because I can't stand the smell of the place. We have a 2 year old store that is 90% clothing and absolutely nothing related to crafts of quilting. I wonder if they transfer these items to another store or just pitch them.
    Old 06-08-2014, 04:27 PM

You must be in a bigger town, our little goodwill an hour away never has anything worth bringing home.glad yours has stuff you want