Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild >

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I worked with a bunch who liked the "reality" shows on TV. They would sit at lunch and dissect who did what and what they thought would happen next. Took the whole lunch time. No other conversation. It didn't matter to them that I wasn't included in their conversation. I tried to make the conversation work for everyone, trust me.
This reminds me of two friends I used to lunch with, followed by a couple hours of knitting, on Friday afternoons. The reason I stopped meeting with them was because they continually gossiped about their mutual friends who I didn't know. (Not that I would want to hear gossip about people I knew, either...) That became the conversation every time we met. It became too uncomfortable to hear all that trash about complete strangers. They drove me off as effectively as if they meant to! How can anybody be that clueless?

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 06-08-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:06 PM

I love my small quilt group. We can talk WOF, 1/4 seams, time for a new blade, selvage projects etc all day long. Our quilting langauge IS different, but I suppose no different to any one else with a passion for their interest.

Besides what was your co-worker doing with his weekend. Sitting in front of the television watching sport. Eyeroll!!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 AM

I love my guild. Our speakers are wonderful and the work others do blows my mind and motivates me.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:27 AM

I just come here to QB. I miss my sewing buddy I moved away from, but we email and text. I have 5 very nice neighbors but not one is the least bit interested in sewing of any kind. Oh well such is life, I am in the middle of nowhere and it really is where I want to be. Love QB.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:48 AM

Tell HIM you will be very involved in fiber art, that ought to throw him. Remember he is a guy....not too many understand creative geniuses.....left brain thing. Sew and quilt on, BTW what he doing?....sitting in front of his computer?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:21 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
A co-worker asked me what I was doing this weekend, and I said that today I was going to stay home, clean, and hopefully sew and tomorrow I was going to JoAnn's with my gs to pick out a pattern and fabric to make him summer pj's.

"OHHHHHH...." he says, looking around, "that's sounds like FUN <eyeroll>" lol

So I've decided I need to be with real people who get excited about fabric and buying new things like clear rulers or who can share my enthusiasm when I learn a new technique, or have that light bulb moment.

I emailed my neighbor who used to belong to a local guild, and who I went with a few years ago but for reasons I don't remember, I stopped going. Hopefully she doesn't hold that against me.

Unless people sew, I can't mention it because they sort of don't want me to keep talking about it, like I've just told them I dropped a house on that witch in accounting, lol. I guess to be exciting I should be running races or remodeling my house or slaying dragons or something.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

I worked with a bunch of women who didn't sew or craft or quilt and all they did was party. So needless to say I understand .. LOL Keep the ol chin up and have a good time with whatever you decide to do ...
Old 06-09-2014, 08:25 PM

Same here, if someone doesn't sew for pleasure and only for the public, or if they don't quilt, then they really don't understand how quilters feel about this passion. I never sewed for the public, only for my family and myself. When I was just sewing I was often ask if I sewed for the public and always refused, most could never understand why. I told them the pay was not enough for me dealing with the stress and pressure of trying to please others, same goes for quilting, also most think the cost is too high. When I have quoted prices for quilts, - "well I could buy one from here or here much cheaper." My reply, "then that's where you had better buy from." With my quilting, I quilt like I sewed, because I love to do it, and make quilts for others because I want to, not because I have to. I like my brother's comment who is a retired contract welder and when ask what he would charge for certain jobs, he always said "if you have to ask the cost you probably can't afford it." Granted one would want to know the cost prior to know if they can afford the item.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 PM

I know exactly what you mean. My SIL will call and ask what I'm doing and if I say I've been in my sewing room all day she will say something like :Oh that sounds exciting" and when my hubby gives me a Joann's gift cert for my birthday she thinks that is so boring and I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:27 AM

Linger at the JoAnn's start a conservation with someone and than go have coffee, get acquainted.........I would share the energy with you.........calla
Old 06-10-2014, 10:47 AM

This made me laugh out loud!

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Ha, ha. You should have said you were going to buy some fat qtrs and jelly rolls!!