Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I joined the club >

I joined the club

I joined the club

Old 06-17-2014, 03:19 PM

Ouchhhhh! Been there- done that. In my case it was years ago and I was very hot and sweaty. Holding the ruler firmly my L index finger suddenly slid in front of the blade. I heard and felt a Zing sound as the blade hit the bone. Healed quickly since it was such a nice straight cut with a new blade. You might want to get a "birdcage" splint to protect your finger for a while. It looks sort of like a birdcage to shield your wound so nothing but air touches your tender fingertip. Especially handy when sleeping to avoid pain. By now I'm sure you've found keeping your hand elevated helps reduce the throbbing. A sewing coworker cut off a good chunk of her index finger a year ago including the nail and aside from being a little numb it's fine. Hope you heal soon.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:26 PM

Been there, done that, not fun!!! Super careful now!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Oh good grief! I hope it heals soon so you can get back to sewing. And can I just say it takes a talented person to take that much of her finger off and not bleed on the fabric. I would say you definitely have your priorities in order!
Old 06-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I second all the wishes that you heal quickly without too much pain. I don't belong to cut club and hope I never do. I do belong to the needle in the finger club and that's enough club joining for me. Take care. BrendaK
Old 06-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
OUCH! I gave myself a manicure with my rotary cutter once and that was close enough.
Ditto.... !!!!!

There's something about a rotary cutter crunching through an acrylic nail that makes you never wanna do it again.

lol
Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM

Good reminder to all of us in the club, new to the club or going to be in the club if we don't use the gloves, protection, and safety guides. I must find that glove I have purchased! Wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Oh my goodness, this has me making a determination to use my tool that looks like two cups upside down on a curved handle (can't think of the name of it, I got it a couple of years ago at a Paducah show) as I get started on a quilt I have in my mind for the upcoming county fair. 1/2" is a lot. I do hope it doesn't make you lose interest in your quilting habits/jobs/interests/fun.....
This is a "Gypsy",that I ordered immediately when a board member showed us pictures of her bloody finger...We can be careful 'most' of the time..It only takes one wrong move...Scares the heck out of me..
Really, really sorry this happened to a board member..Trouble is my Gypsy does not stay on the ruler any more, but I just keep sticking it on.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:01 PM

My stomach hurts just reading about this. Every time I start to cut using my rotary cutter, I think of all these stories on here. It takes me a little longer to cut my fabric, but I don't want to "join the club". Praying you don't have a lot of pain and that you heal quickly. You deserve a medal for not getting blood on the quilt after cutting that much of your finger!
Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 AM

I hope ur finger heals. I often think about this happening to me. Be well soon
Old 06-18-2014, 04:01 AM

Oh Lordy. Thank goodness you didn't bleed on the fabric, though. We can't have that :-)