Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I good enough? >

Am I good enough?

Am I good enough?

Old 06-21-2014, 03:28 AM

I have found that once a hobby becomes a job (something you are getting paid to do) it loses it's fun. I will never make a quilt for money.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 AM

If you really enjoy quilting for others, tell her how much time it would take. Then I would use a very simple pattern, such as Trip Around the World or Stairway to Heaven with larger squares. 5 inch squares would make a nice pattern, and fast. D9P quilts are easy and fast and look fascinating. Amazing Jelly Roll quilts are easy, and look very complicated and you can cut up your own fabric for the strips.
Then see if you can use fabric from your stash. I mean something that you've had around a while and have used in more than one quilt already, and really want to be rid of. I have lots of that around.
Then get at least 50% of the cost up front. Tell her it is to purchase supplies. And don't be too cheap on the cost!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I have been making quilts off and on for 30 years. They are fun to make and every once and a while someone hears that I quilt and ask if I sell them. My response has always been, "No, I'm not that good." My family thinks I am much better than I think that I am, but they love me and do not look for the imperfections. People paying for something will look and find each and every one. So rather than let anyone be disappointed, I just don't sell anything that I make.
Same here, I just turned down make a baby quit for one of DH's coworkers. I don't want to feel pressure and also don't want a critical eye even from non sewers. I enjoy making all of my quilts because I want to not because I have to. I did do a commission quilt two years ago, king size for a dear 94 yr. old friend, she was pleased and paid me fairly well- but the way I made the quilt took an enormous amount of time. I fussy cut roses from a bouquet of roses
fab. and appliqued them all over the quilt. I always felt like I was pressured while doing this quilt- especially because of her age and wanting to get it done before something happened to one of us. I WON'T do another one. I do not enjoy being under pressure like that. I quilt for the joy and fun of it.
But really only you can make that choice.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:12 AM

I freaked when I was asked to machine quilt 4 quilts for a couple of ladies. They said they wanted me to do my magical quilting on their quilts. I did them and when I shipped them back to Alaska I was so scared waiting for their comments. Not only did they love them they each gave me a big tip. A few months later two more ladies from Alaska wanted me to quilt their quilts after they had seen the first two ladies. I think we do not give our selves enough credit.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:49 AM

*** Better give her a quote or you will be holding the quilts.
*** People think homemade means CHEAP (like from Sri Lanka).
Old 06-21-2014, 07:19 AM

I have only made quilts for pay once and that was for a close friend and I still to this day think I got the best deal of a life time. She is a dentist and I don't have dental insurance any longer so she suggested free dental for life as I said I didn't want her to pay me for having fun.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:25 AM

Every time I start a project I ask myself that question and then do the very best I can. I give my quilts to friends and family and, they may just be being nice, seem to love my work. If you do the very best job you can, pay attention to the little details and people remark how beautiful your work it then you are definitely "good enough." I'd bet you are a terrific quilter, the fact that you would even question yourself should tell you how much you care about what you make.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
I have only made quilts for pay once and that was for a close friend and I still to this day think I got the best deal of a life time. She is a dentist and I don't have dental insurance any longer so she suggested free dental for life as I said I didn't want her to pay me for having fun.
Sounds like a great deal to me!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:32 AM

What a great question? I have often wondered the same thing, and for the same reasons. I quilt for the love of doing it. It is very uncomfortable to be asked to "go professional" when that is so far from the reason we do it. Keep us posted on your ongoing thought process. And be flattered that someone thinks enough of your work to want to pay you for it.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

If the woman hasn't seen some of you quilts, I recommend you showing her pictures of some of your finished quilts. If she's willing to pay for a quilt after seeing some of your quilts (which I'm sure she would, or she wouldn't have asked you to make quilts for her kids), then give you a good idea of what the cost of the materials would be as well as an amount for your time. I can't tell you a good price, as I think it varies according to the fabrics and the design of the quilt; something like a 9-patch, D9P, or other simpler blocks would not be as much as a more complicated quilt. I wish there was an exact formula for how to price your quilts, but I don't have one.