Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Scrappy Hexie Quilt - Halfway there!!! >

Scrappy Hexie Quilt - Halfway there!!!

Scrappy Hexie Quilt - Halfway there!!!

Old 06-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

It's awesome. i'm doing a triad in all colors too, i'm using a 3/4" hexie and cutting with a fiskers punch. my advice to anyone doing this, use an inch or better.

this quilt is stuning, I LOVE scrappies.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
It's awesome. i'm doing a triad in all colors too, i'm using a 3/4" hexie and cutting with a fiskers punch. my advice to anyone doing this, use an inch or better.

this quilt is stuning, I LOVE scrappies.

Lynnie - I saw your Hexie quilt and loved the triads! I've never seen that pattern before!
Old 06-21-2014, 02:34 PM

incredible!!
Old 06-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

amazing project... how do you keep track that you haven't used a particular fabric before?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Wow that is a lot of pieces
Old 06-21-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
amazing project... how do you keep track that you haven't used a particular fabric before?
It's a labor of love or possibly an act of insanity! The majority of the squares have come from me cutting a 2 1/2" square from my own stash or from the many mini charm packs by Moda that I ordered to get myself started. I am also using the same print if it is in different colorway. I have had some very generous people who have sent me some squares. When I get these squares they are often fabrics that I wouldn't have in my own stash such as civil war prints or novelty fabrics that I wouldn't have in my stash. I go thru the donated squares and if there are ones that I think look like something I might have in my stash or might already have in the quilt top, I put them off to the side. I will then take those squares and pass them over the hexies I have done to see if I have one already. If i do, I put them in a bag to pass on to someone else. If I haven't used the fabric yet, then it goes in my stack to make a hexi with. I have found it easier to know what I have going into the quilt if I make about 75 hexies then sew them together. Once they are sewn together, I make up another 75 hexies and repeat.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:01 PM

Love this, all the colors & prints are really great.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
It's a labor of love or possibly an act of insanity! The majority of the squares have come from me cutting a 2 1/2" square from my own stash or from the many mini charm packs by Moda that I ordered to get myself started. I am also using the same print if it is in different colorway. I have had some very generous people who have sent me some squares. When I get these squares they are often fabrics that I wouldn't have in my own stash such as civil war prints or novelty fabrics that I wouldn't have in my stash. I go thru the donated squares and if there are ones that I think look like something I might have in my stash or might already have in the quilt top, I put them off to the side. I will then take those squares and pass them over the hexies I have done to see if I have one already. If i do, I put them in a bag to pass on to someone else. If I haven't used the fabric yet, then it goes in my stack to make a hexi with. I have found it easier to know what I have going into the quilt if I make about 75 hexies then sew them together. Once they are sewn together, I make up another 75 hexies and repeat.
wow, that's quite the process
Old 06-21-2014, 04:57 PM

What a wonderful Charm Quilt. Love the idea but I do not have the patience.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:58 PM

Amazing! Incredible! Gorgeous! Do you need fabrics? PM me if you do and I'll gladly send you some. I'd love to be a part of this quilt!