Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long-armers Please Help >

Long-armers Please Help

Long-armers Please Help

Old 06-20-2014, 05:27 AM

here is a great thread that talks about batting http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t247835.html
Old 06-20-2014, 05:28 AM

If you have already finished the quilting, take a sticky tape lint roller and brush over it. Make sure to use some pressure. It will take away most of the "pokies" from my experience.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85 View Post
here is a great thread that talks about batting http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t247835.html
Thank you so much for this link!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 AM

The only time I have had it happen to me was with W&N and I did have it wrong side up which I discovered later. I was really upset because W&N doesn't have any information on that on the packaging. I only found out about it by accident after my mishap, was talking to someone and she mentioned that she had heard that W&N has a wrong & right side.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
The only time I have had it happen to me was with W&N and I did have it wrong side up which I discovered later. I was really upset because W&N doesn't have any information on that on the packaging. I only found out about it by accident after my mishap, was talking to someone and she mentioned that she had heard that W&N has a wrong & right side.
I had a table runner "pucker up" and did not know why. Not the usual washing-aftereffect, but a dimpled, unattractive surface. I've only been quilting about 18 years. . .how did I not know this for so long? Oh yes, never belonged to a quilt group or blog spot until lately. So happy to learn so much from all of you out there!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
Uh. . .what kind of batting has a right and wrong side? Hopefully something I have not used, as I had never heard of this before. I do have a Hobbs 80/20 I haven't used yet; is this one I need to be aware of?
I think it's only Warm and Natural that has a right side and wrong side. Hobbs 80/20 does not!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did use a new needle, but I think the batting was wrong side up.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:27 PM

Warm and Natural products have a "right side" and a "wrong side": the smooth side of the batting goes on top of the backing; the bumpy side goes to the wrong side of the top...and I would also change your needle...it may be burred or dull.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
Uh. . .what kind of batting has a right and wrong side? Hopefully something I have not used, as I had never heard of this before. I do have a Hobbs 80/20 I haven't used yet; is this one I need to be aware of?
In the 14 years that I have been quilting for customers my batting of choice is Hobbs 80/20 in natural, black or bleached. When I began quilting I was told to place the rough or dots on the batting up against the back of the quilt top. To remember this I like to think of fried eggs and the term "sunny side up" (rough side up). I have never had pokies so I believe I must have been told correctly. I also believe the combination of cotton fabric, cotton thread and cotton batting will cause static and may cause pokies, but they should disappear upon washing the finished quilt. That being said I try to use a black batting with dark quilts and/or dark backings and light colored batting with light quilt and/or light backings. I only change my needle size up or down to work with the thread size, not the fabric or batting.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by RonieM View Post
The batting is Warm and White - backing is maroon, thread is black. Yes, I am aware of the "right and wrong "side of the batting. I generally try to pay attention to that detail and make sure I put it on correctly. This is the first time I have had a problem with the batting showing on the back.
What is the correct way to put the batting?