Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why does Jenny do this? >

why does Jenny do this?

why does Jenny do this?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:12 AM

I use both, I use the mat a lot to make sure it is straight. I do use the same ruler as I cut. I think it makes a difference in rulers more than it does using your mat. But I say do what ever is comfortable to you. I think either way is ok as long as the lines on the mat are accurate. I always measure mine to make sure.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 AM

I use the marks on the mat if I want a measure longer then 18 inches, it works fine for me!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 AM

I like to use my ruler in conjunction with my mat. I love cutting precise pieces and I think these tools work well together.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:16 AM

I have also heard to only use markings on rulers not mats. However, I use mat markings all the time. Never found a difference or had a problem. It seems there may be (or have been) mats that are not so accurate, which got the idea going, but the two mats I have are quite accurate.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 AM

if an item is used consistently then there is no problem - the problem happens when you use this that and the other all together.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 AM

As long as your mat is accurate to your ruler you can it is just not recommended. Some mats are not accurate that is why I stick to Omnigrid for my cutting tools.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:55 AM

I would probably use the lines on my mat more if they weren't worn off!
The other thing I like is, she doesn't spend an eternity pressing like so many others. And her quilts always seem to turn out just fine.

Originally Posted by luvrazz View Post
I was taught and I am sure many others were too, that you never use the marks on the mat to cut your pieces, always use your ruler. Well I have watched several of Jenny's tutorials (MSQ) and sometimes not always but sometimes she uses the marks on the mat. Don't get me wrong I love her and all she does for quilters, but why does she do this? One of the things I love about her is that she does not intimidate new quilters.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 AM

i watched her hex tutorial the other day and the way she used her rotary cutter was dangerous.

i wouldn't take her actions in the videos as lessons in skill development. i think she is counting on experienced quilters to be watching her videos and for them to take the meat of the tutorials - the idea or innovation parts - and leave off the criticism of basic skills.

she's making a 9 minute video to show a technique, product or design. i take her ideas and do them much more skillfully at home, which i suspect is what she expects me to do.

aileen
Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I think a better question is - why not?

I use the mat lines sometimes, the ruler other times. Depends on what I'm doing and whichever works best.

Some people have said their mats are inaccurate; mine seems to be just fine. So why not use those lines, if that's what works and is most convenient?
I do the same as Sewnoma....I actually use the mat lines quite a bit...especially for cutting into yardage...
Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 AM

It doesn't matter which is used as long as you use the same one consistently. Why would they put lines on the mat if they didn't intend for them to be used?