Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are? >

What are?

What are?

Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
One of the things I kept hearing is "your not old enough to be a quilter"
I was in my early 40's (42-43) when I started quilting.

Still I get the occasional your not old enough line. Now I just tell them
you don't have to be "old" to have a love of quilting.

I turned 50 on June 12th........... does that make me old enough now? LOL
I was 70 when I started quilting. That was a year and half ago. I'm now 71. Am I old enough to quilt? When anyone says only old ladies quilt....I tell them I am OLD.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
The misconceptions or misinformation you have heard about quilting. I get confused with all different opinions. What can I believe.
I called several fabric manufacturers several years ago and was told by three of the four reps to whom I spoke, that they are constantly amazed by what quilters believe to be true about fabric and that no data from any source will change their minds. For example, name brand fabric makers run separate lines for the fabric they sell to Wal Mart and other lines for the fabric they sell to specialty stores. "Do you really believe we could afford to do that," was the refrain from these reps. "Our reputation is on the line with every fabric we sell, whether it is at Wal Mart or a specialty shop. We can't put our name on a product we know to be inferior." It is true that some manufacturers sell only to quilt shops--at least that is what their contracts with the LQS says--but I have found several fabulous pieces of name brand fabric (written on the selvage) at a local outlet that most people would not believe could be a store of any kind, much less a fabric store. The same is true of threads, which taken up and taken down, are a matter of personal preference as well as personal finance. The lesson in all this, is find your center, and be willing to change your mind if the evidence warrants. froggyintexas
Old 06-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
The misconceptions or misinformation you have heard about quilting. I get confused with all different opinions. What can I believe.
I can understand the confusion with all the different opinions - that you will see elsewhere and here, too!!

I think some things one learns by trial and error. The bigger the error, the better one remembers the lesson!

One example:

Should one wash one's fabric before cutting it?
The opinions run from:
1) I consider all fabrics available in stores now to be needle ready and I will cut and sew it as it is straight from the store. No water will touch my fabric!!
2) I wash some fabrics that I might think will be problematic. (Although how one tells which ones might be problematic just by looking at them is still a mystery to me) Or are in big pieces. I won't wash little pieces because they are a bother to wash. (Although I still do not understand how a fabric can be problematic when it's a large piece and okay when it's a little piece.)
3) If it's washable, I will wash it before cutting it.

So- how does one decide which is the best or correct way to do things?

There are several camps - just on that one question - on this board.

I don't have a definitive answer on how to decide which is the best way. I think use your sense of what seems reasonable for some of the answers to your questions.

Experience will be your most authoritative instructor!

And when it comes right down to it --
There are some people who refuse to let facts interfere with their strongly held opinions.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:35 PM

Tired of hearing that pressing seams open is no longer done and seams should be pressed to one side or the other--the longarm lady doing my quilt is one pushing that method and I and another lady meeting with her today with our quilts both pressed our seams open. I will continue to do that as well as the seam to the side when I feel like it.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
And when it comes right down to it --
There are some people who refuse to let facts interfere with their strongly held opinions.
I think this is the best answer yet.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 AM

That is why there are Quilt Police..........where are they when you need them.........
Old 06-24-2014, 06:19 AM

Your quilt is a creation and you are the creator, just jump in and have fun, this is what I have done. I have learned a lot from the ladies on here and also by my mistakes and I am loving it. I like trying new things and learning. You can make it as expensive as you want to, but remember there is no limits when it comes to creating a quilt.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 AM

I think the ones I run into are:
Quilting is a cheap hobby ---------NOT TRUE: Still trying to figure how it is cheap.
Tied quilts are not really quilts------NOT TRUE: it is just the choice to put it together.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 AM

As a longarm quilter, I cringe when I hear "you can quilt it out". NOT! Poor piecing is poor piecing.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 AM

1. Expensive machines quilt better. Lots of bells and whistles help one quilt better.
2. All machines should have yearly servicing.
3. The more gadgets you have, the better your quilts.
4. Never use the lines on your mat.
5. Expensive threads/fabric always produce a better quilt - look better.
6. Don't use sheets as fabric - something about it being difficult on the needle.
7. Change your needle at least every time you start a new project.
8. You can always "quilt it out".
5. Everybody loves to get quilts as gifts.