Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Place in the Country for Quilting? >

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Old 06-24-2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I visited Tucson and they sure have a lot of quilt shops. It seems there are many retired people there.
And if you need something bigger, Phoenix is just 2 hrs away!
Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 AM

If you don't have a burning desire to live someplace else, "aging in place" may be for you. Some people have always wanted to live somewhere else. Many times it has to do with cold weather and snow. But if you like where you live, can afford to stay and live there, why move? Short trips to other parts of the country would be fun, informative and relieve any boredom that can come with retirement. I recommend it.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 AM

I believe my self that to much quilting activity outside my home prevents me from getting my things done. I take classes as I find a desire and belong to 3 quilt guilds here in Ohio. I travel to shows and quilt events. I have 4 grown children and 5 grandchildren. Just keeping up with them and their families is enough for me. We talked about moving to Tennessee but family comes first. Now all 4 are married and more children are expected, my life is here. I wish you the best, we travel often and go camping to see the sights.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 AM

Was born in Ohio...still here. My observation has been, no matter where you live there's something negative whether it be the danger of hurricanes, tornados, flooding, etc. I love the change of seasons and the length varies from year to year here...sometimes "spring" starts in March (!) Yet this year it was still chilly with a freeze one night in late May. It's kinda like a box of chocolates.....you never know what you''re gonna get! Makes for variety. In a radius of 55 miles from my home there are 7 really nice quilt shops. Good luck with your choice!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 AM

I think I might go along with the ones who have said "stay where you are, and travel a lot"--which is what the DH and I have come to. We love middle TN better than any place we ever lived in; and that was a lot (NC, ND, Alaska, TX (more than once), MS, LA, GA, AL, FL, SC, that I can remember right now). I have only been quilting, as such, for 10 years or so, and am not active in any guild; but love this area for it's nearness to every kind of quilting store one could ever hope for.

We are both retired, so don't have to worry about jobs anymore (now it is who will tend our pets when we decide to do a road trip) and we do both love to travel. We would like to live in a warmer place when wintertime gets here, but we do hate the humid summers here. We live in middle TN near the KY border, so we are happy with our physical location and do love our home. We have spent nearly 20 years remodeling an old farmhouse, I have an outside sewing room (had the Amish build us a shell 16x40 and we finished the inside to accommodate a huge sewing room, bedroom with stacked QS beds, and a small bathroom) and he has a huge two-door garage with two wings to accommodate his old-timey cars and my spill-over stash and sewing machines.

I am giving some thought to hosting some type of get-together for us forum folks who would like to meet and greet. Not anytime soon though, we have grandchildren who are out of school right now and wanting to go to the beach, or to the waterpark; and I have a ton of canning to get done this summer. The blackberries are waiting for me right now, in fact.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 AM

I often find myself thinking about what I would do if something happened to my DH, lately. I guess it's just natural at our age. I couldn't manage our home on my own. I LOVE living out like we do, in the boonies on 24 acres in upstate NY. But I couldn't do the maintenance, the winter upkeep, etc. Many of his family are nearby, and I love them all, but my family are all in California, and I really don't want to live there. Much to overpopulated now, in what used to be rural when we grew up in that area.
I like being fairly solitary so don't think I would like senior apartments, but I'm not entirely antisocial. LOL
Perhaps, a mobile home park would work for me. My children are in Ohio, PA and Seattle, WA. None of those places appeal to me weather-wise. I'd love to live on the east coast, as I love the ocean, perhaps the Carolinas, but who can afford to live there on disability and SSI. LOL, it's quite a dilemma when you really spend some time thinking about it.

I better take good care of DH so he is with me a very long time!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:06 AM

I am retiring within 7 months and moving from Texas to Michigan. I have friends in Texas but I want to be with my family (sisters)in Michigan. I have grandchildren in TN and TX but my widowed DIL is remarrying and I don't want to be a burden to her when I am older.

As for quilting activities, I feel as long as there is a quilt store within driving distance I am okay. A guild in town is a nice plus, too. I will travel to some quilting events, and visit friends and family each year. I have made some solid friendships in my Texas guild and we will probably meet up in Paducah or Houston most years and communicate via the internet. Craftsy offers good classes too.

I think wherever you go you will find what you need.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 AM

Just wanted to add my thoughts to others. Birmingham, AL, is a beautiful place. But....there is only one quilt store that I know of. Two guilds that I know of. One quilt show every other year. The weather is HOT in the summer and humidity is horrendous. My son lives there, and I have stayed with him and his sons a good bit this last year while his wife was ill. Traffic is tough there also. Takes much too long to get anywhere. Alabama has low property taxes, but we have state income taxes. Most people send their children to private schools if they can afford it.
I live in a small town two hours south of Birmingham. No quilt shops, very few quilters. Low paying jobs. Under-funded schools. Low property taxes. Beautiful scenery. Nothing cultural to do at all. No quilt stores closer than a one hour drive and very clannish society in general. Can you tell that I would love to move somewhere with more to do? Just check an area carefully before you move. May not be what it seems. Wish I could travel or move.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:43 AM

Come to Texas! Not far from Galveston Island which is a wonderful winter area, which is on the Gulf south of Houston, there are quilt shops and guilds. inland around the Houston area you can find several guilds and some of the best shops in the country.

Keerville tx is a big retirement area with an incredible quilt shop, Creations, and a good guild. One of the prettiest areas in the state.

Those are just two of my favorites places where the winter weather is warmer. Many of the cities and towns in Texas have quilt shops and guilds. Just look south of Waco if you are looking for a permanent home and a warmer winter.

My favorite is Port Aransas. We take our RV there once or twice a year. I need a regular salt water fix!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 AM

I agree with TEXAS as your destination! One area to consider it the Bryan/College Station area. It's right in the center of our Golden Triangle of Dallas-Houston-San Antonio, all cities with multiple Guilds and numerous GREAT quilt shops. The Hill Country is fabulous, bordered on the north by Austin and southwest by Kerrville and San Antonio. Fredericksburg is a fabulous location full of history and artisans. The northern part of Austin includes Cedar Park, Round Rock, and then Georgetown, and south towards San Antonio is San Marcos and New Braunfels with the Canyon Lake area just to the west. Trust me....come to TEXAS!!!!!!!