Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - Price for Quilting? >

Help - Price for Quilting?

Help - Price for Quilting?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

If you think you may start quilting for other people you should start with calling around other long arm quilters in your area and see what they are charging--quite often the charge is by the square inch (generally somewhere between 1 & 3 cents per square inch depending on density/complexity of the quilting {and you'd experience}) it is best to determine YOUR prices and policies and have them in writing before agreeing to the job...protect yourself and your customer.. Don't leave anything *questionable*
Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 AM

I think it's great you did this and she's willing to pay a nominal fee. It's great experience for you. BUT!! Unless you want all other members of her guild or her friends coming to you to quilt their tops inexpensively, you have to make it clear that this was a one-time thing. Others will expect the same pricing even as you get better at the quilting. Decide if you want to quilt for others in the future and determine your pricing ahead of time.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:35 AM

You mentioned that the quilt she asked you to do was a UFO from 1990. I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility that she gave you a UFO that she was not overly attached to, to test the waters so to speak, not only on your quilting, but on your pricing as well, if she is on the lookout for a new quilter.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
Thank you all for some good advice. Actually, she is a member of my guild, not a close friend, and she said right away she wanted to pay me. So I sent an email suggesting a pretty low price but said I would take whatever she felt was right when she sees it. I am not a highly experienced quilter, so it's not perfect, and we did discuss that beforehand. It would have been difficult to do on a long arm, I think, as the batting was very soft and fluffy and would not have stretched well. It was a UFO, block of the month from the guild, signature blocks dated 1990. It was fun and a privilege to do it, and I hope she likes it. I'm really not concerned about making anything on it, though it did take me quite a while.
I"m glad you added your response. Nothing bad can come from it!!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:13 AM

I think what you did was perfect. Hopefully she loves it and pays you a nice price for your work, since it did take you a good amount of time.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM

Even for my true friends I charge a small fee. Thread is expensive and so is our electricity.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:58 PM

I hand quilted, a lap quilt for a co-worker one time, and when it came to paying me, I said "pay me what you think it is worth" She gave me 10.00, Never again, I always discuss price up front for anyone I know. I work cheap but 10.00 was an insult...I just make a queen sized warm wished for someone and only charged 50.00 she bought all the materials.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:48 AM

Recently I did a double size quilt for a family member. I put a lot of effort into that quilt. She gave me $75.00. I was so hurt, I have decided to just charge a standard rate, of which is just what I did when she asked me to make her a purse. A few weeks later a dear friend asked me to do a double size quilt for her. I worked day and night on that quilt and was very satisfied with my work. I was still so disappointed with what had happened before, but , being a close friend I told her to pay me for the materials and if she wanted to pay me for the work whatever she thought it was worth to her it would be ok. I received a check a week later for $600. I was so tickled I sent her and her grand daughter a tote to boot. From now on I will set a price before I do any work for anyone.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:21 AM

Since you already quoted a price, I tend to think that is what is fair and if she choses to "Tip" you more, well, all the better.....
Old 06-26-2014, 07:57 AM

Whenever I see discussions of "what should I charge - I'm not very good/experienced/ professional", I think of how that sentence would sound if you were a doctor, an airplane pilot, plumber or mechanic. Would you want to tell someone you went to a doctor who charged less because he admitted he was not very good? Or have your overflowing toilet fixed by a plumber who admits that you might not be pleased, but just won't charge you as much? NO! Of course not! If you can't confidently say " Here's my work and I'm proud of it and I charge accordingly! ", don't charge ANYONE! Get quilts to practice on. Most quilters would love to have their donation quilts quilted for free. I understand your sentiment since you are just starting out, but you diminish not only yourself and your business, but every other professional long arm quilter whose prices will be called into question by being undercut if you don't charge the going rate.

Last edited by quiltmom04; 06-26-2014 at 08:16 AM.