Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why does Jenny do this? >

why does Jenny do this?

why does Jenny do this?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
I use the lines on the mat because as Sharon Schambler says, they don't move. Sometimes no matter how careful we are that ruler will mover ever so slightly and we get a crooked cut. By keeping everything lined up with the lines on the mat you can be assured your cut is straight, well unless your mat is twisted and warped.
That makes no sense to me. Even if you're using the lines on your mat you're still using the ruler itself to cut against so you still have the possibility of it moving during the actual cutting.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 AM

I think she uses the lines on the mat to be sure that her fabric piece is on a straight line when she makes her cuts. If you are not lined up straight to start with, your cuts won't be straight.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 AM

I think the idea is to use one or the other and not to mix in the same project. The same goes for switching brands of rulers and mats. If you start a quilt with a Olfa mat and Omnigrid ruler stick with those for the entire project.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:45 AM

I agree--why not use them--that is what they are there for--I also use both sides of the mats I have.
Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
Why not use the markings on the cutting mats? Why would the markings be there if we can't use them? I've checked mine and the markings appear to be same as the ones on my ruler. I use both when cutting.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:44 PM

One of the first things you learn about Jenny is she uses common sense. It works for most people but not for some. If it works for you do not feel quilt, but rather joy at an easy tool!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:29 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post
Well personally, I love Jenny, and she does make things easy to do - what's wrong with that? If you don't like how she does something, then don't watch her tutorials or do what she suggests - do it the way that suits YOU (if the shoe fits, wear it).

I don't understand how this discussion has gone on for 7 pages, when a few days ago, someone was harping about how Joann's did their coupons and a moderator went in and deleted it because of 'negativity'!!! This one needs to be deleted, way too much negativity here!!!
Thank you, very well said...... we *copy* or we do it our way. I have to report that I have learned more from Jenny than any one else or BOOKS AND MORE BOOKS .I Think she is GREAT..............
Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 PM

I've always been told that using the mat or ruler is fine just so you use the same thing throughout your quilt so everything lines up.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

I use the marks all the time and so do most of my friends that quilt...My quilts turn out just fine...
Old 06-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
Why not use the markings on the cutting mats? Why would the markings be there if we can't use them? I've checked mine and the markings appear to be same as the ones on my ruler. I use both when cutting.
My thoughts exactly. I always use the grid on the cutting mat. I find there is more to line up with on the mat. Ann
Old 07-12-2014, 04:52 PM

The reason you should not use the grid ruler on most cutting mats is that they tend to be inaccurate due to the thick lines. The longer the cut, the more likely your measurement will be off a bit. I have found this to be true with my Olfa mat and Creative Grids ruler. For example, a 24" cut using my ruler is slightly longer than a 24" cut just using the mat.

HOWEVER - if you watch the Martelli videos, they advise you to do just the opposite - their mats use very fine lines and are 100% accurate. They say let the mat do the work/math! That's why I want one of the Martelli mats - do they ever go on sale?