Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten? >

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I think there's a huge difference between seeing quilts online versus in person. And my favorite quilt show - Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show - is free with free parking, and only a couple of hours away. I don't think the admission prices for the local shows are out of line, considering the costs of putting on the shows.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:19 AM

I'm on our guild's show committee this year - and at the local level, we don't make a huge profit. We raised the price from $5 to $6 this year as the venue rent increased by a huge amount (old venue is no longer available).

I'm planning to go to AQS in Charlotte and the entry fee is fine. Paying to park will be annoying - but I may see if DH or my sister will drop me off for a few hours. I really HATE paying high parking fees (concert parking is now $20 per car in our area - pro hockey parking was $15 last year).

Cheers, K
Old 06-25-2014, 07:21 AM

Yes, it's and expensive world, too much for me. I used to go to Paducah as my birthday present to myself. I went with someone else, so we split the gas and the room but it still added up. Haven't been in years.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
And my favorite quilt show - Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show - is free with free parking, and only a couple of hours away.
I'm going to that this year and I'm really excited about it! We're road-tripping our way up from the Bay Area, but I love road trips so I'm really excited about the whole trip. In my case there will be gas and hotel fees but it costs a lot less than what DH wanted to do for vacation this year! (He wanted to go to Hawaii but we did that last year so my turn to pick...and I'd rather look at quilts any day!)
Old 06-25-2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Yes, I've noticed. But, when I look around, I see that just about everything is getting more expensive. It makes you have to make choices..... wise choices. Not all of us have unlimited funds.
I agree. Most of us do have a limit on what we can spend. I put few dollars in an envelope every week when I get my walking around money out of the bank and at the end of the year that is my spending money for the International Quilt Fest here in Houston.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

YES I HAVE!! And then there is normally the parking on top. That is why I look for my inspiration on eBay, Google and here !!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 PM

I've never been to a large quilt show so am planning on going to Grand Rapids this year for 1-2 days if my husband can get a day off. Hope to camp at Newago state park. There are very few teachers that I would pay to take a class with: maybe David Taylor or Bonnie Hunter. My husband really likes looking at quilts. He always has suggestions and comments and have tried to talk him into learning sew and quilt.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:30 PM

What a sweetie!

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
Okay....sigh...when I told the hubby that I wasn't sure about going to the quilt show in Columbus this year. He solemnly looked at me, added up the gasoline cost, the parking cost, the admission fee, the time to drive to/from, the of lunch for two and quietly handed me $75.00, smiled and told me to go shopping at the local quilt store which was having a great sale at 50% off and buy all the material I could for the money. So....I did. We will go next year if possible.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 PM

I went to Chicago's International Quilt Festival last weekend.

Admission was $10, which I thought was fair.

Parking was $13. Really?!? Did my car have more fun than I did?!?
Old 06-25-2014, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
Okay....sigh...when I told the hubby that I wasn't sure about going to the quilt show in Columbus this year. He solemnly looked at me, added up the gasoline cost, the parking cost, the admission fee, the time to drive to/from, the of lunch for two and quietly handed me $75.00, smiled and told me to go shopping at the local quilt store which was having a great sale at 50% off and buy all the material I could for the money. So....I did. We will go next year if possible.
What a sweetie. I'm sure you agree