I brought home one for repair

Old 06-15-2014, 07:56 PM

I am excited for you with having your first (potentially) paying job with machines! Let us know how it ends?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:22 PM

I like Joe's rates too. I think if I were to engage in that, it's about where I'd be at. From the viewpoint, that I'm not factory or otherwise trained, don't carry a lot of parts, and would not be comfortable working on some machines. Just getting started, I don't really care if I only made $20/hour. I know a shop charges more, but they also have higher overhead, more of everything I just mentioned. Like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
I like Joe's rates too. I think if I were to engage in that, it's about where I'd be at. From the viewpoint, that I'm not factory or otherwise trained, don't carry a lot of parts, and would not be comfortable working on some machines. Just getting started, I don't really care if I only made $20/hour. I know a shop charges more, but they also have higher overhead, more of everything I just mentioned. Like comparing apples to oranges.
I agree with you. I am not the expert for sure! I do have a good sense with these things, some experience but not a lot and am willing to try -on some machines. I would never expect to be paid like an experienced tech, but I do want some compensation for my time. Yeah, any profit will most likely go right back into machines lol!

I should call the shop in town and see what they charge because now I am getting curious. I've never gone there but have heard they ONLY do the old metal machines.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:20 AM

Last time I took mine in, it was $75.00 just for cleaning, oiling etc. If parts are needed, you pay extra, of course.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:28 AM

Here's some things I've found out about working on other folks machines.

Bobbins:
>Put in a supply of the most common bobbins. Class 66, 15, FW and any others you think you might need.
Buy the best you can find. Lots of machine problems are caused by defective or damaged bobbins.
>If the customers machine has a filled bobbin in it, either lay it aside and use one of yours, or peal the thread out of theirs and refill it. I have a Singer 328K waiting to be picked up that had 4 layers of thread in the bobbin. I emptied it and put in fresh thread to test it with.

Needles:
>Put in a supply of good needles. We all know that dull, bent, rusted, or the wrong type needles will cause many problems. The FW I'm testing right now didn't have a needle in it when it was dropped off.

Misc Parts:
>Rubber parts, machine feet, bobbin winding tires, need replaced from time to time too. Sew-Classic is quick on those, I had the machine finished just before the rubber parts were delivered.
But if you can put in a set or two of each and a couple bobbin winding tires of the most common type you can save yourself time.

Wiring:
>For your customers don't rewire cord blocks, they are far easier to replace. Also be very careful when rewiring motors. If your not sure of what you are doing, put in a new motor if available.
Why? Law suits. The one thing you can be sure of is that if you rewire a machine and anything electrical goes wrong with it, the customer is gonna hammer you in court. Buying and installing new parts will put the burden of guilt on the manufacturer when you show you installed it correctly.
On the old machines that do not have available wiring or motors, well, go to a lawyer and have a disclaimer form drawn up that the customer has to sign to absolve you of liability should something go wrong. And maybe put in a huge liability insurance policy in addition to that.

Sorry about the last part. I have no problems with rewiring my machines, but those I sell or fix for others, I avoid it.

Joe
Old 06-16-2014, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Here's some things I've found out about working on other folks machines.

Bobbins:
>Put in a supply of the most common bobbins. Class 66, 15, FW and any others you think you might need.
Buy the best you can find. Lots of machine problems are caused by defective or damaged bobbins.
>If the customers machine has a filled bobbin in it, either lay it aside and use one of yours, or peal the thread out of theirs and refill it. I have a Singer 328K waiting to be picked up that had 4 layers of thread in the bobbin. I emptied it and put in fresh thread to test it with.

Needles:
>Put in a supply of good needles. We all know that dull, bent, rusted, or the wrong type needles will cause many problems. The FW I'm testing right now didn't have a needle in it when it was dropped off.

Misc Parts:
>Rubber parts, machine feet, bobbin winding tires, need replaced from time to time too. Sew-Classic is quick on those, I had the machine finished just before the rubber parts were delivered.
But if you can put in a set or two of each and a couple bobbin winding tires of the most common type you can save yourself time.

Wiring:
>For your customers don't rewire cord blocks, they are far easier to replace. Also be very careful when rewiring motors. If your not sure of what you are doing, put in a new motor if available.
Why? Law suits. The one thing you can be sure of is that if you rewire a machine and anything electrical goes wrong with it, the customer is gonna hammer you in court. Buying and installing new parts will put the burden of guilt on the manufacturer when you show you installed it correctly.
On the old machines that do not have available wiring or motors, well, go to a lawyer and have a disclaimer form drawn up that the customer has to sign to absolve you of liability should something go wrong. And maybe put in a huge liability insurance policy in addition to that.

Sorry about the last part. I have no problems with rewiring my machines, but those I sell or fix for others, I avoid it.

Joe
Good advice Joe. I have no problems re-wiring motors on my own machines either but you make an excellent point about others and how they sometimes deal with things. (cords too!)

Funny about the needles and bobbins..I just placed an order with Sew Classic on Saturday for a supply. * I like to have them for myself as well as any machines I am working on. The hoard came in with lots of spare needles and bobbins but as I have sorted through things I find there is plenty of rust and damaged stuff that either needs to be thrown away or saved only as display. When it comes to actual usage, new ones are best!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:31 AM

Well, I returned the machine last night and got paid. It had been missing a few things and the owner was able to find most of them but it still needed a retaining ring for the shuttle. Once I cleaned and oiled and had parts for it the rest was just getting it dialed in. The owner paid me 50 for fixing it which can go into the SM money stash! Ha, who am I kidding? There is no sewing machine money stashed away, only sewing machines!
Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 PM

Woo-hoo, Christy! And you made me laugh with your last few sentences! :-D
Old 06-26-2014, 01:15 PM

Christy, you did a good thing and I am sure the owner appreciated it. That is worth something besides money.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltFaerie View Post
Christy, you did a good thing and I am sure the owner appreciated it. That is worth something besides money.
that is a win win