Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again.... >

My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again....

My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again....

Old 06-28-2014, 10:44 PM

Only if I were making a pot holder.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:50 AM

Wow!! Amazing!!!! I can't do small pieces but admire those that do!!!
Old 06-29-2014, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Scraps really aren't the same value as fabric yardage .....Leftovers from other projects that are otherwise not useful.....
That’s exactly it! She’s been saving her scraps for years, and that’s where the printed fabrics will come from. It only takes a piece of fabric 2 square inches in size to include the print in the project (cutting it into 4 one-inch pieces). The large piece of off-white fabric came from an Estate Auction, I believe, so that’s where the cost is in this type of project. It has to be a piece large enough to cut the majority of the 1-inch squares and accompanying strips and rectangles out of the same matching fabric.

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
.....a tremendous amount of cutting and I would do it as I assembled it.
Oh absolutely!!! To do otherwise would mean digging through hundreds of 1” squares to find the 4 pieces needed in each mini 9-patch block. Yikes.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-29-2014, 03:16 AM

Don't expect to see photos of the finished quilt anytime soon. This is going to be a long journey, but by sewing as she goes, progress will be seen readily. She's still selecting the 492 2-inch squares of print fabrics that she'll need, and that won't even make a dent in her 2"-block tub of scraps that she's been accumulating for years.

BTW: All of the cutting will be by hand with a rotary cutter and mat.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-29-2014, 03:58 AM

Is she actually using 1/4" seam allowance? I once read when doing minis use 1/8" seam allowance, thus eliminating bulk on back. But then, that would require the cut pieces to be cut even smaller, in this case, I guess...don't know as my eyes sort of glazed over as I was reading the initial post on this venture......

And, even if I owned/ operated the best quilt shop in this entire world I would find something less stressful to do......
Old 06-29-2014, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Do you realize that when you use a ONE INCH SQUARE, you actually lose 3/4ths of your fabric of that one inch square into the seam allowance?!!
That's a huge waste in my (not so humble ) opinion!

Think of it, you pay -- say -- $10 per yard for fabric, then you lose $7.50 of fabric just into the seam allowances. OMG!

THAT, my friend, is one good reason I (personally) don't use these mini (one might even say 'macro' sized) squares.
That and the fact that, like others, I can't well manipulate stuff that tiny any more.

You're welcome.

Jan in VA
ditto.....
Old 06-29-2014, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

No, I don't. Have many scraps that I am currently cutting to 2" strips. Don't know what I am going to do with them.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:28 AM

Please post a picture when finished. I love scrappy quilts, I'm sure it will be beautiful! My husband actually loves to do cutting like this. We have discussed doing a project like this together when he retires.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:35 AM

I've looked at those quilts and thought oh how gorgeous. Would I make one? No way. I have a box of 2 inch squares intended for that purpose, but I will bet it will still be there when I'm long gone.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:38 AM

I love using 1" (unfinished) squares in my art quilts. I've done it several ways over the years and the easiest by far is to either use the 1" gridded fusible interfacing (Pellon 820) or just to draw your own grid on plain lightweight fusible interfacing. Pellon makes it in other grid sizes and has it on point as well. It guarantees straight seams and evenly finished squares with accurate seam intersections. Great stuff and a major time saver. Here's a tutorial on using the grid.
http://rachel-thelifeofriley.blogspo...-tutorial.html

When I first started working with the micro square format, I used strip piecing and then sliced up the strata in different widths, but that gives you a more repetitive design, not always desireable. Here's one that used that technique with success.

I don't use scraps, all these quilts are cut from yardage and the placement is 100% planned, never random. I use standard ¼" seam allowances and don't consider them any more of a waste of fabric than I would if I were making wholecloth quilts. It's my choice and working in this style is pure joy for me.

Last edited by ghostrider; 06-29-2014 at 05:48 AM.