Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2014 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 06-25-2014, 06:19 PM

Thanks, Carriem and Coopah!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:31 AM

Wow, Carriem. That is going to be a super fun quilt. It's so bold and bright. Any 5-year old would love it.

And, congrats, QltrSue. Yes, babies are so nice to cuddle..... even better when you can hand them over to MOM once the crying or spitting up begins. I have 3 grandkids and 2 great-grands. Love them so much.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 AM

carriem, what a fun quilt! Nothing like a new grandbaby to snuggle, congratulations QltrSue.
nanna up north and Emma, what are you working on now?

I'm happy to say I'm on the home stretch with Orca Bay. I'm quilting the borders as of today! I want to get the binding sewn on so I can take it with me on a (husbands) fishing trip at the end of the month. I'm very happy to have a motor home to stay in while he is on the lake. There are a couple other items I'm taking as well. Finishes are in sight!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:07 PM

Rhonda: Congrats on the Orca almost finished! Last year I was so good, I finished six UFO's. This year I went on a starting binge, so technically, I am not sure I can call any of them "UFO's" since they have all been started this year. I now piece both front and back so I have a two sided quilt. I have ten flimsies or five quilts ready to sandwich. I've set myself the goal of finishing them all plus three UFO's before the end of the year. We will see how that goes.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:43 AM

Emma you are amazing. I think the finishing of six UFO's must of been exhilarating. It's probably helped to spur you on to the next goal you have set up for yourself. One of the reasons I'm so impressed with finishes is because of all of the interruptions that come along and also other quilts for special occasions that seem to take a priority. I really like your idea of piecing both front and back of a quilt. That would help to use up more stash. You've given me some food for thought on my next project. What type of motif do you use in your quilting when you've pieced both sides? I really like this idea, I might just borrow it from you, of course only if I have your permission! LOL.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Rhonda: Thanks for your words of encouragement! Only another quilter wouldn't think I am entirely bonkers. Using up stash was my reason for starting to piece both sides, plus now that I am retired I am spending a lot more time quilting thus I produce a lot more. For quilting I usually design the quilting for side A and let it fall where ever on side B. Haven't had a problem yet, just consider side B kind of like a pantograph. A side benefit is feeling a lot freer about trying new ideas for piecing. If I don't like the result it becomes side B.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:49 PM

I am posting here for a little boost to get this finished. LOL, I know you all will give me the lift I need. I have a big pucker I have to take out and fix, didn't see it as I was sewing with the sashing side towards me. Uggg This is on the blue Space Shuttle shirt near the top.

My friend has had many wonderful experiences in his life, including service in our military, serving to retirement as a California State Trooper and experiencing many awesome things as you can see from these t-shirts. I am honored to be chosen to make this quilt for him to honor his many services to his country and have named the quilt, Be The Star in Your Life.

I decided to be creative and use the yellow stars in the sashing to make a huge C in the top of the quilt, as the first letter of the recipient's last name is C. Believe me it added a LOT of complications to the planning and execution of this quilt, but I felt it was worth the trouble. Now that it's done, I think they don't stand out as a C as much as I thought they would. Due to the shapes of the t-shirts, one star was only able to have 4 points instead of 8 but I hoped it would still do it's job. Sigh.... I can't see a way to add the other 4 points to it. I'm open to suggestions.

I can't fit it all into one photo, so the first pic is the left side and the 2nd is the right side. I don't know how to combine them into one. Would love to know what program would work for doing that if anyone has a helpful hint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Be The Star In Your Own Life.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	481237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Be The Star.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	481238  

Last edited by wildyard; 07-01-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:15 AM

You've done a terrific job getting all those different sized shirts to look good together. Way to go!
We have an app on our iPhone called 'AutoStitch' that puts several photos together to get a panoramic view. That probably would work for your quilt. It's a free/low cost app.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:01 AM

Wildyard: Love the way you used the gold stars! The whole quilt flows so well from one T to another. What a fabulous memory quilt. Just one question Linda, what do you use to stabilize the knit fabric?
Old 07-02-2014, 05:32 AM

coopah: does your 'AutoStitch' app work on laptops also? I don't have an I-anything to use. LOL I need something that will work on my laptop. Thanks for your suggestion tho, and your kind words.

Emma: I back the t-shirts with the fabric left from bedskirts when I've deconstructed them. It's usually thin, and sometimes it's that... non-fabric kind of stuff that is still very washable and lightweight. Poly-something, I'm sure.
I don't use an iron-on stabilizer because I don't like that feel. I want the shirts to remain as soft and cozy as they were when being worn. Smiles.
I quilt the shirt design to the backing before I piece the quilt top. True, it requires using more pins, and leaves me open to puckers now and then, but I just prefer the over-all feel when the quilt is finished. Even the thinnest of the iron-ons take away that natural softness of the knit in my opinion.