Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Row by Row Problems >

Row by Row Problems

Row by Row Problems

Old 07-08-2014, 03:42 AM

Are we talking about the strip quilt???? I sew all the strips together lengthwise and then double it, sew it, double it again and sew it until you get what size you want - Oh yes, before you start sewing, cut 18" off your first strip and then sew them into 1,000" strips *83 feet long). Cutting the 18" off will keep the quilt from being uniform. You want it totally mish-mash - at least I do). I am in the process of saving Jelly Rolls to make a super sized quilt for the bed and also save some extra fabric that I have that will match and cut that into 2-1/2" strips. 96 strips will make a quilt 88x92 . I want mine even larger than that!I have made them before and they are a lot of fun to make. Edie
Old 07-08-2014, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

Is this sort of a "row exchange"? like a block exchange, but with a pieced strip/row instead?

I would wait until "all" the rows are in - assess what there is to work with - then start banging my head against a wall - and THEN try to figure out how to compensate/fix the differences.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:14 AM

Very good idea Quiltnlady. Three of us are making a string block quilt for one of our dgd college quilt. I designed it with one white strip to start so it follows in the block as a chevron. I could not figure out why we are off a smidge. Thought my friend with the dgd was maybe not doing a perfect 1/4" seam - she is inexperienced. Turns out it was me and my squaring up - duh - not a huge problem but will be better now - lol. Sometimes it takes another pair of eyes.
Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
This is what I have done -- and I love the look. I used "filler" blocks the same color as the sashing, alternated the sides I sewed the fillers, trimmed the filler blocks so the rows were the same size and then added the sashing so the rows really look like they are floating. Did this with a couple of charity quilts where different folks made the rows and the makers were creative about the lengths of the rows.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
I would float each row with a couple of inches on each side, then once the quilt is together, trim the excess off and add a floating border to the top and bottom.
What do you mean by "float?"
Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 AM

Hi Pete.....
Floating means using one color / print all around your "design" to give the impression that the inside part of the quilt is floating away from your outside borders. Hope that helps )
Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM

I was part of a Row Robin last year and each pieced row I got back was a different length, even tho we had decided at the start they should be a certain width and length. One row was 2.25" shorter than the others! I resewed the seams that joined the blocks together on some, then ripped out the original seams. Even changing 1/8" makes a big change over the course of 6 blocks. One strip was not made with rectangular blocks, however. Also it had a light background, which none of the other blocks had and it looked so out of place with all the rest of the rows. I ended up putting that row on the back. I thought at the beginning this would be such a fun project, but in the end was quite frustrating. After all the questions and frustrations, I am happy with the end result though. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
Are we talking about the strip quilt????
Nope, row by row is a different technique than Jelly roll race.

Me, I'd just add a border to both ends of the short rows. Or maybe even just to one end, and off set them all (add some to the left, some to the right). But I'm not a perfectionist.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:13 PM

This is a new shop hop thing this year that many states are doing. Each quilt shop that joins this has their own row pattern that they have made up. Some shops are even making kits for their row. You must go to different shops in your state to pick up the patterns from however many you want to do. My state has no shops participating, Neighboring VA has many shops joining in. You go and get as many rows as you wish to do from that many different shops and put them together for your quilt.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

It seems like participating in a swap may provide many opportunities for additional creativity.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:57 PM

I am in a row quilt swap and none of the row are coming out the same length! I am going to add fabric to alternating ends of the rows using a solid fabric and on the bit of fabric I will quilt the name of the piecer of that row. Solves the problem of the incompatible rows and will keep the knowledge of who made the rows with the quilt. By alternating which end I put the extra fabric on, no one will ever know that they weren't the proper length.