Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reverting to old ways after trying new ways >

Reverting to old ways after trying new ways

Reverting to old ways after trying new ways

Old 07-17-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I've also gone back to using a dry iron and a spray bottle of water. My current iron is actually a steam iron but I've never put any water into it. It's just an inexpensive iron, I bought at WalMart. Works great, without the water/steam!
Same as me! My Walmart iron is a $15 Black & Decker...very light weight and has never seen water at all.

I tried glue basting, went back to thread basting. Some fabric pieces I will rotary cut, others I use scissors. I have a computerized Janome "Heart" (remember these) that I have never taken out of the box (I am afraid of the complexity of the machine).

I guess I am a mixture of "young and old" (young at heart but too old to be taught new tricks?)...
Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 PM

I like a steam iron; but other than that, I like the "old" ways that are still newer than how we used to do it. LOL
Old 07-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

It makes sense to me to use the methods and tools that give the intended results that work better for the user.

Or the project at hand. ( in hand?)
Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 PM

I see 5 out of 7 that are my choice
Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 AM

Yes...like a new way of making certain blocks, some are just plain easier the old ways.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:31 AM

Another vote here for the dry iron and the water bottle. Iron is a German Rowenta, but don't want to push my luck too far, so have gone with it dry.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats View Post
I saw something either here on the board or in one of the latest quilting magazines about a growing movement called Slow Sewing or something like that. Now that machines are so computerized and everything is so fast paced, some people feel they are losing their connection to the process when working to get things done as quickly as possible. It's basically about slowing down and enjoying the process of sewing and quilting and not rushing to get things done just for the sake of getting things done. I have always been a slow sewer and will continue to be so. I know everyone is different and slow sewing is not for everyone. But if you find you are not enjoying quilting as much as you used to, try slowing down and be mindful and in the moment when you sew. You may find your sewing becomes alive again.
I was laughing at this. Even with using shortcuts and new things I'm still slower than molasses. I tend to overthink things. That might be due to the fact that I always tend to choose to do something I haven't a clue how to do and I can't seem to follow directions.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Have any of you reverted to "an old way" of doing something after trying "a new way"?

Examples:

Hand basting or pin basting a quilt sandwich instead of spray basting?

Hand basting an intersection instead of pasting it?

Rotary cutting instead of cutting with a die cutter?

Reverting to using a mechanical machine after using a very high-end computerized machine?

Using a regular lead pencil or chalk to mark instead of a marker that uses liquid?

A plain old dry iron instead of a steam iron?

Hand piecing instead of machine piecing?

I may be completely out of touch - and usually I am out of step - but sometimes I am just more comfortable with "an old(er) way" of doing something than the most "modern" way.

Anyone else?
You know, I hate the new way of cutting strips and sewing them together and cutting off blocks, etc. I wish they would also give plain on templates and directions the way they used to. I read a pattern over and over and over again trying to figure out what strips to cut and what A1 and B3 is. It drives me nuts. I'm numerically challenged though.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:04 AM

I feel the same way about spray basting
Old 07-18-2014, 05:38 AM

I go back to my trustworthy Singer 201-2 for piecing. I feel like I have more control and can be accurate.