Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reverting to old ways after trying new ways >

Reverting to old ways after trying new ways

Reverting to old ways after trying new ways

Old 07-18-2014, 06:33 AM

I use most of your list. Thank you for sharing !!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:18 AM
bj

The "new" idea of sewing slower to savor the process makes me laugh at myself. If I sewed any slower I'd be sewing in place! Speed is not my friend.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 AM

I love to try new things Interesting how the old becomes new for the younger people on the block..I love the adventure of how do I get it done quickly, seams matched, pattern that is pleasing, colors that are vibrante, so.. that said..I use some old some new. ( Steam irons have been around for a long time,,I used a gas iron that had a water chamber when I was a kid 70 years ago.. also used flat irons that we heated on the wood/coal kitchen range. I would love to have a Baby lock that makes the Letters and designs.. We live in such an exciting age! Gota get a quilt finished for each of my grand kids!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:43 AM

I do whatever is easiest for me, some old some new
Old 07-18-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
I go back to my trustworthy Singer 201-2 for piecing. I feel like I have more control and can be accurate.
I go to my 401A for my piecing for the same reason, I have much more control with it.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:59 PM

If I sewed any slower, I'd still be working on my first quilt!

I have, however, temporarily gone back to my mechanical machine because my $$$ newer computerized
one could not handle heavy or thick fabrics. I love the automatic threader and cutter, and the speed control, but she is very finicky about thread and other matters. I know my trusty Bernina will plow through anything!
Old 07-18-2014, 02:15 PM

I'm pretty new to quilting...soooooo....I enjoy pin basting my sammich so I don't even care to spray baste, I have a new machine because I didn't have an old one, I have a new steam iron because my old one spit rusty water, I have never hand pieced and don't really care to.....I use my rotary cutter sometimes, but I'm not very good at that so I have a Go.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:41 PM

I baste my quilts with curved safety pins, the basting spray won't work for me as I am asthmatic.
rotary cutter, the die cutters waste fabric...so no
I only have 1 computerized machine, I prefer to use a treadle or a Featherweight.
I use a colored pencil that washes out.
I gave up using a steam iron, have hard water here that leaves nasty build up in my iron.
Only machine piece and quilt.

Last edited by purplefiend; 07-18-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:26 AM

It depends...
The first quilts I made I hand cut all of the pieces. I prefer my rotary cutter(s) and mats.
My first machine was a Sears machine that was fairly simple with only a few stitches. I prefer my Elna Quilters Queen I bought 6 years ago with all of it's "Bells and Whistles". I'd love to be a long armer, but do not have the space nor the $$
I iron a lot of my clothing still, along with my quilting projects. I prefer my steam iron to the spray bottle, however there is a spray bottle on my ironing board.
I don't have the newest gadgets with the die cuts etc. I prefer to spend that $$ on other items, and it seems like there is much waste when you use one (I may be wrong), but oh my gosh I can still hear my mother talking about wasting fabric when you cut it "wrong".
I have several marking pencils, not liquid ones, some are better than others, and I prefer the ones that work.
I have never been interested in hand piecing or needle turn. I do not have the time(darn job) nor the patience(darn me) but that is who I am. And, since I crochet, that satisfies my need for "hand work".
I do the things I enjoy with the time I have, but in all of the years that I have done this, I agree that I will never have the newest, the best, or the brightest tools in the box.

Happy quilting.
Susan
Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 AM

I'm still in the beginner phase so all the "new" is all I know so there is no going back to the "old", but thats just me I reckon.