• Main
  • Wash quilt >
  • Wash quilt

• Wash quilt

Old 07-19-2014, 09:21 AM
    Power Poster

beautiful quilt!!!!
    Old 07-19-2014, 09:42 AM

When I wash my quilts, I do hang them on the outside line but I drape it across two lines so the water weight is distributed.
    Old 07-19-2014, 10:49 AM
    Power Poster

I'm so glad you posted a picture of your BEAUTIFUL quilt, and told the story behind it. Your assortment of fabrics is wonderful, and I especially love that luscious cream color of the background. You say you aren't in the US, would love to know where you do live. And I agree with Prism that I see no advantage in washing in a tub rather than a washing machine, if you avoid the agitating cycle. There are real advantages to letting the machine take as much water out of the quilt as possible, and I believe the machine also does a better job of rinsing since most of the soapy water is spun out before the rinse water is added. It's much harder to do that in a tub.
    Old 07-19-2014, 08:33 PM

You ask about my whereabouts. I'm living in China.
    I just like warm autumn colours and that's what I went with. However, as most of the fabrics are scraps, it wasn't at all planned out from the beginning - I just bit by bit used any autumn coloured piece of fabric that came my way! At some point I was thinking about how to link my flowers together and thought that maybe a solid colour would be good. When I mentioned it to a friend, she gave me an old bed sheet - that's the cream colour you like (It was very thin towards the middle, but still enough usable fabric at all four sides to make the triangles from). The backing is bed sheet fabric, too, but this I actually bought new at the local fabric market.
    Old 07-19-2014, 10:10 PM

I suppose I am very lucky -- I wash my quilts in my washer, but I have an "extra delicate" cycle on mine, which is what I ALWAYS USE. I then dry them in a clothes dryer, which I am also blessed to have. My machine is a top-load machine, but it has two delicate cycles, one regular "delicate", and one "extra delicate". I have several hand-pieced quilts and I've never had a problem. Understand, I don't wash them every week, and since they don't get used much in the summer (Florida summers), so they're washed infrequently (I usually use my quilts between two flat sheets, which keeps them cleaner.)

Jeanette

P.S. Your quilt is stunning! Beautiful work!

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 07-19-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: addition
    Old 07-20-2014, 04:46 AM

I use my quilts for bedding all the time. I only wash the quilts in spring and fall. Or saying not more than twice a year. If you have a sheet between you and the quilt it is not that dirty. Maybe lay it outside in between times for an hour or so to air. To me quilts are to be enjoyed, so go for it
    Old 07-20-2014, 04:53 AM

When I put a treasured quilt on a bed, I make sure the sheet below has plenty of overlap so that it covers the top edges of the quilt when you sleep. The most dirt comes from direct contact with your body, so to minimize the soil from your arms going out over the top of the quilt the sheet helps a lot. I don't wash my quilts so often when I use that method of keeping them clean in the first place. Some of the old timers basted a really wide strip over the top of their quilts for the same purpose, (about a foot wide).
    Old 07-20-2014, 05:15 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. Love the fall colors. You were very resourceful too. Enjoy it.
    Old 07-20-2014, 05:55 AM

Monale, Typically I just say nice GFG, but yours is spectacular. You have a good eye for color and style--Just love your rendition. Sleep well. Karen
    Old 07-20-2014, 08:56 AM

I use all my quilts for bedding except the ones I hang on the wall and I rotate them out periodically . I just put mine in the washer on the hand wash cycle in COLD water and dry on the cotton cycle. We have four dogs that sleep on the beds so mine get washed pretty frequently. Despite all the work I put into them I want to use and enjoy them not put them away for "special". I also use my "good" china for everyday. We are in our sixties and I figure I should enjoy them while I can

Last edited by katiebear1; 07-20-2014 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Spelling