Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
1/4" Seam using Featherweight. >

1/4" Seam using Featherweight.

1/4" Seam using Featherweight.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
roguequilter,

Pulling the pins as you sew without stopping is something like multi-tasking. If I tried that I'd either stick my self with the pin, or sew my finger in with the machine needle. Neither is something I'd like to do.
Seriously I don't have long enough finger nails to reliably snag a pin and pull it.

Also with my old machines there is no place for the pins to go except the pot pie tin I keep near the machine. If I did it your way there would be pins all over the place. That would be a sticky situation for sure.

Joe

hmmmmm ... good point and, of course, no pun intended. but i couldn't sew w pot pie tin or anything else in the way on the left side of my moving work. different strokes & all that. the pleasure derived from the past-time is all that really matters isn't it?
Old 07-20-2014, 04:34 AM

I suppose so. If I ever get some room to work I'm going to design me a working sewing machine table with all the things I need including a pin collector that's out of the way.

Joe
Old 07-20-2014, 10:02 AM

I pin if I need to for curves or if the pieces need to line up at the corners. For straight sewing I prefer the seam guide.
I can't convince my daughter that it makes things easier though. If I'm using pins I'm usually going slow anyway so it's no big deal to stop and pull the pin if needed, but then I'm not trying to make money with my sewing either. Speed becomes much more important if you're selling your work.

The tin to the left just sounds awkward to me. I'd be spilling it constantly.
I think I know why so many machines have pin rash from putting a pin cushion on the arm of the machine. It's a convenient place for one. It might work ok if one were to make one with a hard back so the pins don't go thru to the machine. I might give it a try. I'm constantly struggling with where to keep my sewing tools (things like scissors, snips and my stilletto) while I'm sewing. There's not enough room to the right of the machine.

Sorry for the thread drift.
Rodney
Old 07-20-2014, 01:03 PM

The tin to the left is only used when I'm doing small things. When I'm doing big things it goes somewhere else. It's not a perfect solution, but it beats putting needle rash on the machine.

Joe
Old 07-20-2014, 01:25 PM

It's not a perfect solution, but it beats putting needle rash on the machine.
Your solution is probably more logical than mine Joe. I just put the pin tin to the right (my GF told me to have the pin heads toward the right too) and reach through the harp to return them. The light bulb can be a painful adversary there!

Pin rash is not an option
Old 07-20-2014, 01:59 PM

I don't have a FW but I do have 2 machines that don't have 1/4" foots. SO I use my Bonnie Hunter seam guide, and use MOLESKIN to mark it. I cut the moleskin about 1/4" wide. Easy to use and easy to change.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:43 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the little magnetic guide. I got mine at a quilt show, I think. It sticks only to the plate, not the machine, and usually I just line it up with the guidelines. To be very sure of the measurement I usually lay an index card under the needle, because the lines on those are exactly 1/4". No idea who manufactures this, it just says Taiwan on it, but it's one of my favorite tools. [ATTACH=CONFIG]484284[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]484285[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Seam Guide.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	484284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seam Guide Featherweight.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	484285  
Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the little magnetic guide. I got mine at a quilt show, I think. It sticks only to the plate, not the machine, and usually I just line it up with the guidelines. To be very sure of the measurement I usually lay an index card under the needle, because the lines on those are exactly 1/4". No idea who manufactures this, it just says Taiwan on it, but it's one of my favorite tools. [ATTACH=CONFIG]484284[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]484285[/ATTACH]
Oh geez. What a bozo I am! I have one of those. thanks so much. Perfect.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:58 AM

I have one too. It's marked "DRITZ" and has one heck of a magnet in it. In spite of that it will not stay put. I've tried it on a couple of machines and it moves a bit when the fabric pulls on it. So it just sticks on the underside of the arch on the Alden machine.

Joe
Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 AM

I have one too. It's marked "DRITZ" and has one heck of a magnet in it. In spite of that it will not stay put. I've tried it on a couple of machines and it moves a bit when the fabric pulls on it. So it just sticks on the underside of the arch on the Alden machine.

Joe
Mine scoots too. I don't like it for piecing because of this. If I were planning on using it for garment sewing where the seam measurement doesn't have to be dead on, it would probably be o.k. but it's not my favorite quilting tool.