Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Musical Theme Quilt for Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue Quilt >

Musical Theme Quilt for Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue Quilt

Musical Theme Quilt for Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue Quilt

Old 07-26-2014, 04:47 AM

Lightbulb Musical Theme Quilt for Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue Quilt

Hi Everyone, So excited to be asked to design the 2015 Rescue Quilt for the Specialty in Rhode Island for 2015. Because the theme is Rhode Island Rhapsody a muscial theme came to mind. I'm expecting around 13 people to donate a quilt block. My thought is to put all the blocks into a musical note within one music measure. Of courses, they'll have to be organized into chords in order to incorporate all the notes. I'm also thinking that instead of square notes I'll design them into ovals and frame them with a darker color using that same color at the stems for the chords to help the individual blocks stand out more.

So the process is just beginning and I was hoping that if you had links for additional ideas for musical themed quilts or ideas you think would work, you might be willing to share those with me. Would appreciate all helpful friendly comments.

The quilters make their blocks according to my instructions, but I will be doing all the sewing of their blocks into the oval shapes and putting the top together. This morning came the making the square blocks into ovals. Below was my very beginning idea. I know the chord may not be in perfect pitch yet so repostioning the notes may be in order.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Presentation1.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	485032  
Old 07-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

that's a cute idea. sorry, no suggestions
Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

There are a lot of musical notes fabric available for sale. I would start looking for at least one fabric that would be used in each block to give the quilt some cohesion. Good Luck with your project.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:43 AM
RST

How do Rhodesian Ridgebacks tie in?
Old 07-26-2014, 06:26 PM

Well it's the RR Specialty and the name of the year's specialty is Rhodesian Ridgeback Rhapsody. I'm not sure how they came up with the name. In the center of each note will be a quilter's block. They will be make a block showing their RR enjoying music in some way. I was with my gf today and found the fabric and then came up with making the notes into an oval shape instead of the square which will be appliqued to the quilt top. So while the blocks are being made I can get the back of the quilt sewn together. I found a white fabric with black notes and music symbols but it reads as a light fabric from a distance. Then found a darker blue fabric to be used as the notes. Will get for the other musical staff.