Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a difference a blade makes.... >

What a difference a blade makes....

What a difference a blade makes....

Old 07-26-2014, 05:56 AM

I usually try to sharpen it, and then if all else fails, change it! Either option not nearly often enough Why are we such tightwads when it comes to rotary cutter blades??? We have all proven that it makes a HUGE difference in our final product :/
Old 07-26-2014, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I change when the blade dulls...You will know....
Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 AM

I used to have to change my blades quite often with my old mat but when I realized the blade cut so much better on my rotating self-healing mat I realized it was the mat causing all my grief. I finally bought myself a new 4 x 8 self healing magic mat from Cutting Mats.net and I'm in 7th heaven again. The blade just glides over this mat plus I now have a larger area to use too. I will continue to sharpen my old blades using the blade sharpener I purchased from Nancy's Notions as it seems to do a good job for me. I've read pros and cons for this sharpener but I seem to be one of the lucky ones as it works great for me. Its the TruCut Sharpener.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Since I started using Fiskar's titanium blades, I change them a lot less frequently than before
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 AM

If I'm cutting for a king size quilt then about half way through I sharpen, just because I like to keep it sharp! Then I sharpen it again to cut the pillows/table topper/wall hanging. I like my blades sharp - I'll have to try the titanium ones! I wonder if they can be sharpened since they should be harder steel?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:06 PM

I am in the camp that changes the blade when it gets dull and requires more pressure or skips. I was using the Harbor Freight blades and had a few in a row that had nicks in them. For some unknown reason, I put up with them by going back and snipping the skipped spot with scissors after every cut. Crazy, I know. One reason I hesitated to buy the Olfa or Fiskars blades was because my DH had bought me 20 packages of HF blades (40 altogether) for a birthday present a couple of years ago and I felt like I needed to use them. Then one day I found good blades on sale and got discount to boot because I had taken a class at the Bernina shop. I put one in the cutter and OMG! It was like a warm knife through butter! Awesome! No more HF blades for me.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:08 PM

I also use the TruCut Sharpener. Just takes a couple minutes and makes a great difference.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
A self healing mat needs to be kept hydrated so it will be pliable to heal. Soak the mat in tepid water over night and let dry. I soak my mats about once a year. A dry climate may need to be soaked more. I use a child's wading pool for my big mats.
I had no idea. Thank you!!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:54 PM

So sad, but I'm still using the same blade I used for my denim quilt.