Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
ISO Service person for 99K in So texas... >

ISO Service person for 99K in So texas...

ISO Service person for 99K in So texas...

Old 07-27-2014, 06:30 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
Default ISO Service person for 99K in So texas...

Anyone have a reputable service guy to do the once over on a 99k... It looks to be in great shape but I like to have someone knowledgeable to lube and clean prior to a first project on a new to me machine ( actually my newbie wannabe quilter cousin)

pm or comment.... Shes located down south in Cotulla... So Pearsall, Dilley, San Antonio, Laredo areas...
Old 07-28-2014, 04:27 AM

I don't know anything about service guys in Texas but I wanted to post and encourage you to clean and oil your 99K yourself. It really isn't a horrible job to do. I followed the 'how to clean a vintage machine' thread on my first one and was very careful to not use a lot of force, etc. If you don't have a manual for your 99, there are free ones on many sites.... sew-classic has most. The manual will tell you where to put oil and/or grease. And then, you'll be able to use your machine. If you're not comfortable doing that, I hope you find a great service guy.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Good advice from nanna-up-north. You can go from 0-60 in 10 seconds flat.....with instructions, going slowly, and absorbing everything you are doing, you can DIY. I have been sewing all my life and cleaning and oiling them, preparing them for use for over 40 of those years. As you can see I am old--nearly 80--and still going strong. I have just spent my entire Sunday afternoon teaching my GD (14 years old) how to piece and quilt a quilt that she wants to sell as a project for her soccer team fund raising efforts. I told her I would help her if she would enter it in the county fair; that if she gets a blue ribbon for her efforts she can ask more money for it. She was thrilled, and didn't back down or act goofy at all learning how to do the l/4" seams, nesting her seams (on a FW), and went right to the Gammill for the quilting part. That two ton machine didn't intimidate her one bit. As soon as I can get her brother over here to help me post a picture, I'll do that. I am busting my buttons proud of her.

Sorry to get side-tracked there, go ahead and try your own hand at your sewing machine servicing. I had a good friend in Austin who was a wonderful sewing machine repair person, but that was during the 80s--he probably isn't even alive anymore--anyway his name is Gus Gonzales. If you run across him, ask him if he remembers a lady from Bastrop whom he taught to repair and fix sewing machines.

Last edited by oldtnquiltinglady; 07-28-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add a sentence