Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting pins >

Basting pins

Basting pins

Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=Onebyone;6823756]Why be scared of school glue? About any pre schooler can probably tell you what it tastes like. QUOTE]

I am currently working on a king size quilt -- 110" x 110". I used 1300 of the curved #1 pins and of course the Kwik klip. It did make the quilt heavy, but once I sew the stabilizing lines, I was able to remove about half of them. I go to all this trouble becuase I have been very sucessful in the back not shifting and having a smooth back when I sew.

I avoid the sprays and glue because I have a top loading washer that I do not believe would get all of the glue out and I worry about long term if any is left in. My washing machine is a new Maytag, but I just am not sure....

Last edited by Sheri.a; 07-30-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: updated to show quote by Onebyone
Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 AM

I like Pinmoors and regular straight pins. Easy to put on, easy to remove. Safety pins are so thick and blunt by comparison, for me it was hard getting them through the layers, especially on batiks.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 PM

Never heard of Pinmoors before, so I had to google them. Looks very interesting! However, no chance I can get them where I live...
Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 PM

If you don't want to go to the expense of the Kwik Klip, the metal handle of a teaspoon works just as well. Simply place under the pin shaft once you've inserted your pin and it will give you the leverage to easily close the pin quickly - saves your fingers
Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 PM

I use the bent safety pins to baste my quilts, it takes quite a lot of them to do even a throw, I am happy with them.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
If you don't want to go to the expense of the Kwik Klip, the metal handle of a teaspoon works just as well. Simply place under the pin shaft once you've inserted your pin and it will give you the leverage to easily close the pin quickly - saves your fingers
Thanks for the tip! I'll try that first with my next quilt, can still buy Kwik Klip later if the teaspoon method doesn't work!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
I use the bent safety pins to baste my quilts, it takes quite a lot of them to do even a throw, I am happy with them.
As a newbie, may I ask how many is "a lot"? How many pins would I approximately need for e.g. a twin sized quilt?
Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I use straight safety pins; curved safety pins; old diaper pins; whatever. Or thread baste. Honestly don't find any one of them better than the other. You could also use a spoon to function like the kwik clip but I don't bother with either. Don't get poked too often.
Phew!! Am so happy to see I'm not the only one. I use regular safety pins (box full of odds and ends, especially those from the dry cleaners) with a teaspoon. Works for me. And then....I hand baste and remove the pins. I know it's redundant but I have more success with no tucks on the backing by doing it this way.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 AM

I use the curved pins and also use the covers for them. Easier to handle. It is worth the money to make the job easier, since that is the job I hate the most. Also have the wooden handle pin closer.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 AM

I used straight pins until I got tired of the puncture wounds. Also didn't like the pins falling out and DH stepping on them (he wasn't happy). I switched to regular safety pins and they were OK but a little difficult to work with. Then I found the curved quilters safety pins. They are a little expensive unless you use a discount coupon and buy the larger packages, but they are well worth it. When I am basting a really large quilt I use a curved tool (button hook or similar) to help fasten the pins so my hands don't get quite as tired.