Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Don't Know Where to Start! >

I Don't Know Where to Start!

I Don't Know Where to Start!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
No help here with a machine, but I must say you have my complete admiration for not letting a disability stop you from accomplishing your dreams!
do not know if this applies but could try the Michigan Dept of Rehabilitation or a technical school......
Old 07-31-2014, 07:05 AM

Another suggestion in addition to the start/stop button is to get one with a variable speed setting. That way, you can set the speed where you want it and know that it will always be consistent. Also, you might think about the needle up/down feature, because if you do stop stitching in the quilt, with the needle down, your quilt won't shift. And you might want to check with the various dealers in your area and ask about used machines.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:09 AM

Leah Day goes into some detail about this kind of system. She has a couple Craftsy classes on FMQ, and she also has a newsletter.

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Since you are doing so well without the start/stop button, why not continue without it and get a system to hold the piece you are quilting up in the air to make it easier to maneuver. Just a thought. There has been a lot of discussion about that system on this board lately. I will try to find the link. You are an inspiration!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:51 AM

Congratulations on making quilts and not letting a disability stand the way of your talents and creativity You are to be commended. I personally have a Babylock with start button and also speed control and love using my machine. Best of wishes on finding the right machine for YOU
Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I love my Brother with start/stop button AND speed control lever. I have problems sitting at the machine at a table for very long. So last night I drug my TableMate table up to my recliner and had a wonderful time sewing for 1-1/2 hours without nary a backache and my feet were up on the footrest. I use a slower speed when I sew this way than I do when sitting at a table.
I didn't event think about this aspect of the start/stop! Now I really need one!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 AM

The Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 has a start/stop button. I have the 2.0 model which does not have s/s button. I love the large harp space for quilting. The 4.0 has been sold for about 5 years now, so there should be some available used, or a year end close out price should be under $1500.

I also have a Brother with start/stop button and speed switch, but it has a very small harp and very little space in the throat, so I would not recommend it for quilting.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 AM

try visiting a brother dealer. you might even find a used one with the feature you need. god luck with your search
Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 AM

When I started to sew with an electric sewing machine the machine we had had a knee control..the foot control can be mounted so that a lever can be pushed by pressing with a knee to make the machine sew.
Some machines now have a knee lever to raise and lower the foot but this was to make the it work like the foot control..
I have not seen this kind of control on a machine for a long time but I am sure it could be used again.. It let you use both hands to guide the material
Old 07-31-2014, 11:04 AM

Could you mount the foot pedal in a way that allows you to push it with your elbow. Not the easiest thing, but you've mastered one handed sewing so you could do it.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I give you high praise for learning to make so many quilts one-handed. Would you be able to use a knee pedal, I know my Mom had one, but I'm not sure they still make them any more, but it would be worth a call to you local sewing dealer. Keep up the good work.