Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is The Happy Daisy quilt on your bucket list? >

Is The Happy Daisy quilt on your bucket list?

Is The Happy Daisy quilt on your bucket list?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM

It is now on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 PM

This is on my bucket list--I have the steam-a-seam shapes traced and cut out--I am going to have my stems all on the same side--but thank you for the warning.
Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
If so, please don't make the mistake I did. I knew I needed 20 blocks so I chose 10 fabrics and did a "lefty" stem and "righty" stem from each color. I didn’t think it through: three rows of 4 blocks is twelve and two rows of 4 blocks is eight. I made 10 of each which doesn't work.

As you can see, when I put them on my design wall I am missing two "lefty" stems (and, yes, I have two "righty" stemmed flowers that will not be used).

I hope this post saves someone from having to make more blocks when they thought they were done!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I think you reason you can't just put something else in there is because you also have to deal with the colors in the background. If you put a lefty (or a righty) where it doesn't belong, the light and dark colors won't land where they are supposed to. You would need to turn the flower upside down to get those colors right. Did we just make a new design? ? ? It's probably best to make two new ones, like she is planning.
Your right, how did I NOT see that. I still like the thought of them dancing though
Old 07-31-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I think you reason you can't just put something else in there is because you also have to deal with the colors in the background. If you put a lefty (or a righty) where it doesn't belong, the light and dark colors won't land where they are supposed to. You would need to turn the flower upside down to get those colors right. Did we just make a new design? ? ? It's probably best to make two new ones, like she is planning.
That is correct. I should have just posted this picture right away so that the background color issue would be apparent; not just the stem direction.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]485765[/ATTACH]

I have made the two new blocks and it is still on the design wall being tweeked for block color placement.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2_TwoOfTheseBlocksDon'tFitIn_CanYouSpotThem.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	485765  
Old 07-31-2014, 02:13 PM

Is this in a book or an individual pattern? I've never seen it but it's very pretty might learn appliqué for this!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:13 PM

The only thing on my bucket list is to sing "God Bless America" at a Philadelphia Flyers game! Does everyone remember Kate Smith? She never even used a microphone!

This daisy pattern is very nice...where did you get the pattern?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
Is this in a book or an individual pattern? I've never seen it but it's very pretty might learn appliqué for this!
There is no pattern that I know of. If you do a search on this board for the Happy Daisy quilt you will find a few posts on it. That's how I first saw this quilt. When my friend said that this is the quilt she wanted, I just made my own templates and went from there.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:39 AM

I would alternate the stems in each row.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
A few white blocks would be another good look for this quilt.
Cute quilt...
Old 08-01-2014, 12:35 PM

I'd put the two "wrong" ones in the corner (and switch the red blocks so the whites are touching, like the whites do on the top. Actually I'd switch out one of those reds entirely so that it isn't two reds right next to each other.)

Or- don't consider them wasted blocks and put them on the back.