Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 07-31-2014, 12:17 PM

I had trouble at a class and the instructor took one look and realized I had a defective 1/4 inch foot! It may not be you! Even so go and have fun...if it really bothers you maybe you could get a private lesson. My sympathy, I too look
at quilts on the QB and feel so deficient.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:17 PM

For a beginning quilter the block of the month approach is often challenging given their skill level. I have done several of those classes and they would have been difficult if I hadn't had some quilting under my belt first.

There are some excellent suggestions here already. I would recommend you try a simple block such as log cabin or rail fence and see how that works. Having someone that has done a lot of quilting watch you is an excellent idea. Slow down if you are sewing fast. Use pins. So many of the videos you see the quilter is going lickety split with the machine and not using pins. Many quilters can't do that and they need to take a slower approach and pin. I'm a pinner and I had a friend tell me she was surprised I used pins because I was so good at quilting. My response to her was maybe the reason for my nice looking quilts was because I pinned.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 PM

I hope you don't quit! I've been sewing since I was 4 years old and not one thing I've ever made is perfect. I love it anyway. I've made all my daughter's prom gowns, wedding gown, and all kinds of baby quilts and stuffed animals. I do it because it's relaxing and the people I make these for appreciate them. I will never enter a quilt in a show because that's not why I quilt. I have donated quilts to NICU units, nursing homes, churches, schools and cancer centers. Some are hanging on walls and some are warming up babies and others. No one I've ever given a quilt or stuff animal to has ever pointed out my "imperfections" (which I prefer to call my "personality branding"). Do it because you enjoy it. Once it becomes stress producing it's no longer fun.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:40 PM

Please don't give up something that you say brings you pleasure. I for one am not the greatest piecer, quilter, color smart person you would find, but that doesn't stop me from quilting because I love to do it. The quilts I have made and gifted have been well received by family and friends, which gives me hope that one day I will grasp the whole concept lol..Thanks to the beautiful people on this board, who give their advice freely when I ask, I just might reach that lofty goal!! Now that my pep talk is finished I will say that using a good 1/4 inch foot and pressing, not ironing, improved the outcome of my piecing.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:59 PM

I am certainly no expert, only making my second quilt now, which by the way is not perfect. However, I have watched several of Eleanor Burns shows on tv and she makes her blocks etc oversize and then trims to the correct size. This might help you.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:14 PM

Hi, First I want to say that a block of the month is a good way to learn many different technique's . Some teachers are striving for more perfection than other and some students for more perfection than others. Take a look if one of these is the cause of disappointment. I suggest you try and figure out exactly where your problem lie's. Is it the cutting or the sewing. When I first began quilting. I would start out with a perfect quarter inch seam and then stray of a little and the seam allowance was over a quarter inch at the very end of every seam. When it was pointed out to me I corrected that problem.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:16 PM

A good teacher should be able to look at the block you made and tell you what you are doing wrong. Ask
Old 07-31-2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dorrie View Post
I have spent a lifetime sewing and doing crafts. About 5 or 6 years ago I made a queen sized quilt. VERY PROUD...no instruction.
Decided to join quilt class on a monthly basis. Each month we learn to piece a new block. I CANNOT DO IT. I cannot cut straight or sew straight enough to be accurate. (I have tried every suggestion known to mankind) I stick to it! Several years, same class. An occasional one comes out right. (BY ACCIDENT) I recently joined a swap and have delivered 12 blocks. It took me weeks and wasted lots of material. I am now considering dropping out even though I love it........Is it possible for someone never to be able to piece correctly?
I have tried pre cuts with some success. Magic suggestions is what I seek. Thanks for listening and your help.

Dorrie

have have you ever thought of trying JoAnns block of the month blocks and finishing kits? They come precut, have beautiful fabrics and you end up with a beautiful double size quilt. They usually have 2 different quit options available and they are quite pretty. Once you have experienced success with this precut option you may be better with doing your own design or another pattern.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 PM

I have been attempting to quilt for about 3 years (sewed since junior high) and my cutting still isn't even close to perfect, nor do all of my seams come out 1/4, or even straight sometimes! (BTW, I like the idea of using shelf liner under the ruler). One thing I've noticed is that the 1/4 inch on one sewing machine never seems to be exactly the same as on another machine, and that tiny bit off can mess you up when you are doing a big quilt! So try to do it all on one machine. If you can't (I usually use one at home and a different one for classes), then you have to learn how to fudge it. Some teachers will help you, others want everything perfect.

So - just have fun! Non-quilters will never know the difference, and quilters won't mention any imperfections they see because they have all been there themselves!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:05 PM

To cut straight, I use June Tailor's Shape Cut ruler. Perfect straight cuts everytime. For sewing straight seams, a 1/4 inch with guide presser foot for your machine. I think you will be surprised on how much better you will sew. Good Luck!