Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 07-31-2014, 05:25 PM

When you are cutting, be sure that your ruler is held tightly, and be sure that your body is over the ruler so you get a straight line with no bobbles. I also tilt my cutter about 10 degrees so that the blade is tight against it. Try to get as accurate a 1/4 inch seam as you can and you should be ok.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 PM

dear Dorrie
I to years ago had a problem like you coming to find out I needed glasses. and that did the trick.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 PM

I hope you don't give up! maybe you are a perfectionist? If that could be your problem just remember! No one is as critical of a quilt than the one who made it! I feel the person who would be the lucky person to receive your gift of love would absolutely love your quilt.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
I also have problems with accuracy. Then I discovered Paper Piecing. It's the answer to my problems. Maybe try this technique. Cutting doesn't have to be precise, sewing is done on lines--I get perfect (to me) blocks!
This is funny to me as paper piecing or should I say just the thought of it scares me to death. Although I have been looking at the string piecing part of it.
Jeri
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 PM

I don't think I seen a response like this but...watch You Tube video's too, Missouri Quilt Company is a good one or just go to Your Tube and put in 1/4" seam ect, there are a ton of video's to watch, these may help you out a lot. And the Quilting Board (here) is the best at answering your questions as I'm sure you've seen. Please don't quit, you could end up being a ribbon winner at a quilt show. Ya just never know. I know you can do it. Keep on stitching my friend it will happen!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:05 PM

Dorrie, I had similar feeling when I couldn't get a straight 1/4 inch seam-ever, and then again when trying to learn how to FMQ designs, it looked like a child had done the work. Those are still not perfect, but if I compare my work now with the older items I have sewn I can see some improvement especially on the feathers, my 1/4 inch seams are still not good. On the FMQ one day it just clicked and I got it, don't quit you may be on the verge of a breakthrough.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:24 PM

Having read all this advice to be accurate my thinking is I love, love, love patchwork and quilting. To me embodying it and aiming to be accurate and not stressing out is best in life. I just carry on. I drive my accurate friend a nightmare as she would be unpicking my stuff all the time. I only unpick once in a while. Once quilted even I can't see the inaccurate joins etc.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:42 AM

Stick with it, and don't give up. If you love it, you will make it work. I have found that there are several things that go into being accurate. I am a believer in pre washing and drying fabrics, because I had one shrink under the iron on a log cabin block. Lighter weight fabrics get starched before cutting. It firms up the fabric, and makes cutting easier. If you can cut a straight line on paper, then make the fabric more paper like with the starch. It washes out and is also nicer to sew with. Use the same ruler, cutting method and cutting mat through the entire project, as well as any marking devices such as pens, pencils and such. If you make templates, double check to make sure they are all squared up and the cut is correct. I use some sort of grip on the bottom of my rulers, and make sure the fabric is gripped from top to bottom to help avoid slipping of either the ruler or fabric under the ruler. The 1/4" foot is great, but I agree that you need to double check the measurement of that foot, or the markings on the foot. I also know that on my machine, when I turn it on, it "sets" itself. So, if I have the needle moved over some, I have to make sure I manually move the needle to the position I was using when I left it. Audition your seams before sewing them. If I am working on a star, fold the fabric back on the 1/4" mark to make sure your points are where they need to be. I have had to take out a seam or two because I did not align it correctly, then I ended up with the top too long, and not enough on the bottom. If need be, pre mark the seam allowance on all edges of the fabric to help with this. Also, maybe cut your pieces a tiny bit longer to allow for this. Match your fabric edges when sewing, and go slow. Remember the feed dogs will pull the fabric, and the presser foot will stretch it as you sew. Sewing on the bias will also allow for distortion, so that's where starched fabric works very well. Also, yes, iron everything, but press it. I set the seam, then iron the seem in the direction it should go, but if you push too hard on the fabric, and stretch the fabric, that will give you some distortion. Even with all this info I have access to, and in my head, my points still don't always line up. I agree that someone else watching you may see something that you don't, so have someone watch you. I think that being consistent is what will help. I hope some of this helps you. It has for me. And, always remember, nothing in life is perfect. We are not, and nor should what we create be perfect. It's not hand made if it's perfect.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
Why not try some of the wonky blocks that are meant to be more free form? You are more a Picasso than Rembrant.
I love this! I'm going to have to steal this quote and use it for myself!

I always thought my grandmother was a super-hero style quilter; perfect in every way. Then I became a quilter myself and really examined her quilts and realized she's just as human as I am. And I think I love her quilts even MORE, now, mismatched seams and all, partially BECAUSE they aren't perfect. I still sleep under the quilt she gave me when I turned 18, and the smaller ones she made for me when I was younger are what I curl up under when I'm sick. Grandma's quilts STILL make me feel better! I wouldn't trade any of them, not even for the most lovely, award-winning quilt on the planet.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:55 AM

I remember Sandra Betzina said that perfectionists will never enjoy sewing. Maybe you are too hard on yourself? That will certainly take the fun out of it!