Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting pins >

Basting pins

Basting pins

Old 07-31-2014, 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=Sheri.a;6824185]
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Why be scared of school glue? About any pre schooler can probably tell you what it tastes like. QUOTE]

I am currently working on a king size quilt -- 110" x 110". I used 1300 of the curved #1 pins and of course the Kwik klip. It did make the quilt heavy, but once I sew the stabilizing lines, I was able to remove about half of them. I go to all this trouble becuase I have been very sucessful in the back not shifting and having a smooth back when I sew.

I avoid the sprays and glue because I have a top loading washer that I do not believe would get all of the glue out and I worry about long term if any is left in. My washing machine is a new Maytag, but I just am not sure....
I have a top loading HE new Maytag washer and I glue baste. When I wash the quilt I use the bulky setting which adds more water to the tub. I use warm water. When I used cold water like I usually do when I wash the glue did not fully dissolve but it does with warm water. I understand your concern but it does work with your type of washer. I have not tried a king size quilt however. Queen size yes.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Monale View Post
Never heard of Pinmoors before, so I had to google them. Looks very interesting! However, no chance I can get them where I live...
A friend of mine husband made her some Pinmoors. He used flip flops and cut them as the material in flip flops is similar to the material used in Pinmoors. Much more economical and you can find flip flops usually just about anywhere.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
A friend of mine husband made her some Pinmoors. He used flip flops and cut them as the material in flip flops is similar to the material used in Pinmoors. Much more economical and you can find flip flops usually just about anywhere.
Thanks for this idea, this is genius! Yes, flip flops are no problem to get - I live in Asia and they are all over! I'm probably having at least three used up pairs lying around I could easily cut up for this!
Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 AM

When I started quilting, I bought a whole bunch of these pins from Joanns' and basted exactly one quilt with them. I found them to be quite dull. I hated crawling on the floor all afternoon to get one quilt basted, and planning my fmq around those pins was a pain in the butt. Now I only spray baste. I basted 2 quilts yesterday in about 20 minutes by laying them over a craft table. Best part is, when I quilt, I won't need to stop every 20 seconds, take off my gloves in order to take out a pin, and then put my gloves back on.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:21 AM

Thanks for this idea, this is genius! Yes, flip flops are no problem to get - I live in Asia and they are all over! I'm probably having at least three used up pairs lying around I could easily cut up for this!
I tried homemade Pinmoors but didn't like them. I used a heavy foam (sort of like flip flop material) but the pins went through it too easily and poked me too often. Plus once used, the faux-pinmoors didn't "heal" like the real ones do, so sometimes they'd slide right off the pin and I'd have exposed points again.

Pinmoors are NOT foam, they're little silicone plugs. The silicone really grips the pin point - I've never had one fall off like I had with my foam phonies. If you're going to make your own, I'd avoid foam and probably try something like squeezing dollops of silicone sealant onto parchment paper and letting it dry into gobs.

But if you already have old flip-flops on hand, it can't hurt to try it! (Well, it'll hurt if you get poked but don't we all bleed for our craft? LOL)
Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 AM

I assume you're machine quilting. That makes me think: would glue even work for hand quilting?
I am hand quilting one right now. You do need to be careful about having small dots or lines and smooth all lumps/bumps. Ironing to set also help. I haven't found it any harder when I come to glue than I have when I come to s seam. Now if I can figure out how to make the seams easier to quilt!!

Try the Elmers Washable School Glue (no other brand or type), once I tried it, I'll "never" use another method. Of course, never say never!! LOL I asked for an received a gallon of glue for Christmas, I've been using it for 2 years and have lots left.

Many stores ship international.

Last edited by AZ Jane; 08-01-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:05 AM

I use the curved basting pins, I have arthritis and my fingers get sore quickly, they work great, less stress on the fingers, easier to pin.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:24 AM

I prefer thread basting for my hand quilting because it's easier to hoop and the thread doesn't get caught on the pins. When I use curved safety pins (which is rarely since I now spray baste my machine quilting projects) I use a grapefruit spoon to help close the pins.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

You may want to try the different techniques on small projects and just see what works for you. If I were going to pin baste I would definitely get the tool to help with the pinning. I know of one quilter who pins for long term projects. I would be afraid of rust but she stores no quilts in plastic. She has some quilts with pins that have been WIP for years. For longer projects I would thread baste. So many videos on basting techniques!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:45 AM

To answer the question about how many pins it would take for a twin size quilt - I would guesstimate 1-200? I think I've read that you should use your hand width to measure distance between pins. (maybe I dreamed it, i don't know). I do have the curved pins and they are much easier to use than regular straight safety pins BUT I never use them any more since I started using Elmer's washable school glue.