Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Practices for Pressing & Using Starch? >

Best Practices for Pressing & Using Starch?

Best Practices for Pressing & Using Starch?

Old 08-02-2014, 12:27 PM

I wish I could remember the teacher's name who included this tip, it was one of the instructional videos available for a period of time on thequiltshow.com about accurate piecing. When starching, even using a dry iron, let the fabric cool before moving it-whether you are starching before cutting or during piecing. This helps prevent distortion as does "pressing" vs "ironing". I use Niagara spray starch for dark fabrics (gold top on the can) cheap at Walmart when I'm getting ready to cut then Best Press during construction. I normally don't prewash except batiks and any that are super color saturated and flannels.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:34 AM

I don't pre-wash my fabrics but when I'm working with small cuts I'll cut a section of the fabrics I'm using (however much I think I might use plus a little extra for safety in case of a miss cut), either dip or spray it with starch and hang it up to dry. Then later I'll mist with water as I pressed it. I make my own starch up using the vodka recipe plus I add a little liquid starch for added stiffness. I find if I starch 1st before I cut my pieces don't seem to stretch as much. Right now I'm making a bunch of 4-patches using 2.0" strips of blacks and whites for Quiltville's Bricks and Stones. Used up all my scraps in these 2 colors and now I'm cutting into my bolts of the fabrics. I found at my local fabric store a backing fabric so its 118" wide..........black sateen. She has beige and probably other colors too but I was only interested in these 2 colors for now. Anyway, the sateen has a sheen to it plus the fabric is so smooth and such a nice drape to it. I used my 1st cut from her a couple years ago for a backing to the quilt I use for my avatar. I know I've used the scraps in another quilt a while back and now used up what scraps I had leftover. Love this fabric so much I went back to get more. Think I might invest in a bolt of it next time as its a nice fabric and a beautiful black but it does bleed a little as I found out when I dunked it into my starch. But when I washed the avatar quilt using color catchers, it didn't bleed onto any of my white. This fabric seems a bit heavier than most fabrics too.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i buy the starch in bulk and mix it in a small spray bottle 1:1. i starch when piecing. i remember when young, the starch was mixed in the laundry tub and all starchables dunked. if not ironed right away, the clothes were rolled, put in a plastic bag, and stored in the refrigerator until ironed.
I remember storing it in the refrigerator to. It was my job to starch and roll up.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:45 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I wash, dry, smooth out and press when I need it. I tend not to use starch on everything. It depends on the fabric and the pattern. When I starch (I make my own Best Press) I do it when I press the large pieces, before cutting to size.
How do you make your own Best Press?
Old 08-03-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Also be aware that starch is a foodstuff, and you can get rodents and insects gnawing away at it if you leave it for a long time before using. That happened to some of our linens years ago!

PS - when I was little I had to help iron the sheets, Dad's undershirts, and his boxers. Oh my! No air conditioning either!!
Wow! Does that ever bring back memories. Mom had a gigantic plastic bag so everything got sprinkled on Sat and had to be ironed by Sun. No steam irons at that time.

If you use spray sizing rather than starch you will be less likely to get bugs.
I starch as I am pressing to sew. Starching to press and fold to store is just too much work!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I don't pre-wash my fabrics but when I'm working with small cuts I'll cut a section of the fabrics I'm using (however much I think I might use plus a little extra for safety in case of a miss cut), either dip or spray it with starch and hang it up to dry. Then later I'll mist with water as I pressed it. I make my own starch up using the vodka recipe plus I add a little liquid starch for added stiffness. I find if I starch 1st before I cut my pieces don't seem to stretch as much. Right now I'm making a bunch of 4-patches using 2.0" strips of blacks and whites for Quiltville's Bricks and Stones. Used up all my scraps in these 2 colors and now I'm cutting into my bolts of the fabrics. I found at my local fabric store a backing fabric so its 118" wide..........black sateen. She has beige and probably other colors too but I was only interested in these 2 colors for now. Anyway, the sateen has a sheen to it plus the fabric is so smooth and such a nice drape to it. I used my 1st cut from her a couple years ago for a backing to the quilt I use for my avatar. I know I've used the scraps in another quilt a while back and now used up what scraps I had leftover. Love this fabric so much I went back to get more. Think I might invest in a bolt of it next time as its a nice fabric and a beautiful black but it does bleed a little as I found out when I dunked it into my starch. But when I washed the avatar quilt using color catchers, it didn't bleed onto any of my white. This fabric seems a bit heavier than most fabrics too.
Sateen is generally used when doing heirloom type quilting - I use it when I am making whole cloth from vintage items. It does have a very nice low sheen so if piecing, some people will cut and use it as they would a velvet or corduroy (in one direction) because of the sheen. It is great fabric, heavier than a muslin for piecing.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

I make my own spray starch and I keep it in a spray bottle by my ironing board..
Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 AM

I do not wash fabric first - I love the vintage crinkles so I wait til finished. If you use a bunch of color catchers there won't be a problem - also Purex has just come out with a dye suspension detergent. I'm going to try that! Second, I never steam, not ever. I iron and use starch while I'm working with the fabric, no storage of starched items. If by chance I get a color run - I got one on a many times washed finished quilt - who knew? I use oxi on the spot and it was gone.

[QUOTE=Barb in Louisiana;6827119]Amazing that I am the first to post that I don't wash my fabric before piecing. I usually don't need to starch because the sizing from the mill is still in the fabrics. Of course, sometimes I do get surprises when I wash the finished quilt. :
Old 08-03-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I wash, dry, smooth out and press when I need it. I tend not to use starch on everything. It depends on the fabric and the pattern. When I starch (I make my own Best Press) I do it when I press the large pieces, before cutting to size.
Recipe for your own Best Press????
Old 08-03-2014, 07:47 AM

I keep a spray bottle by my ironing board filled with Mary Ellen's super starch. When someone told me to use starch to guarantee a nice even stitch I thought she was joking. Not so, starching makes a big difference. My recent love affair with applique has made starch my new best friend, what an amazing difference it makes. I have never pre-washed my fabric and, with a very large knock on wood, have never had any problems. I realize that is a big mistake in many quilters' eyes, but so far so good.