Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've never had this problem before, and I don't know what to do. >

I've never had this problem before, and I don't know what to do.

I've never had this problem before, and I don't know what to do.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Try a larger needle.
... and a different type of needle.

Different fabrics, sometimes require different needles.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

You are sure that the needle is going down, but a stitch is not forming (as opposed when the needle doesn't go down at all in that spot)? For the first case, the most likely cause is that the needle is flexing so that it is not in exactly right position for a stitch to form. This can be because you're pulling the fabric too fast, and therefore the needle is getting pulled out of position. A larger needle is less likely to flex, so this often solves the problem, as does slowing down while you're quilting.

However you seem to be having the problem only on one fabric. If it's a very tight weave, like a batik, it may be grabbing the thread. In this case a smaller needle and/or smaller thread might help. Or it could be that something about this fabric causes it (the fabric) to not want to lay as flat as it should while the needle is going through it. In that case, a larger presser foot or more pressure on the presser foot might help. Using a straight stitch throat plate, with a single small hole, might also help.

I found this article really helpful - http://moonlightingquilts.wordpress....tion-quilting/

If you find that the needle is not actually going down in those areas where your stitches are skipped, then the causes would be entirely different. If you have a Bernina with the BSR, it might be that the BSR is unable to read the movement of that fabric, causing it not to make stitches. If you are doing free motion without a stitch regulator, you might just be moving the fabric too quickly (however that is not the likely cause, since you are having this problem on only one fabric.)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I would also try a different needle. If you have one, try a Jeans needle on a scrap. If the fabric is stiffer a Jeans needle will handle the fabric. Also a slower speed to give the needle time to reach the hook properly and not bending with the pull of the fabric.

Let us know if you find a solution. It will be good to know as a reference .
peace
Old 08-06-2014, 05:47 PM

Well, I had to walk away from my FMQing for awhile. ... I was so frustrated. But, I'm back..... read everyone's suggestions. Thank you so much.

1st- I made a sandwich with the pesty fabric to see if I could duplicate the missing stitches problem. Yup, same problem.... I watched carefully to see that the needle was in fact, going into the fabric correctly. But this fabric feels a lot like a batik even though it isn't one. My guess is that it is tightly woven, perhaps that's the problem.

2nd- I tried putting cling wrap on top and stitched...... wow.... that 's worse. I thought I needed something that I could see through.... but it won't be cling wrap.

3rd- Tried waxed paper.... and that seems to solve the problem. I would have used a tear away stablizer but don't have any up here at the cabin. Same problem using tissue paper. Don't have any here. I'm going to practice a couple more strips but maybe the waxed paper idea will work.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:47 PM

Sounds like you are trouble shooting the problem and coming up with a workable solution! I learned a lot by reading this post!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:22 AM

Do you have either a rolling or a Teflon foot for your machine? I think that if you try one of them, particularly a rolling foot, you might have good success. Hope so!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

It is always handy to have a small practice quilt to use to test the tension when changing any thread especially if threads are from different manufacturers thus may be a slightly different weight which will make a difference with how your DSM stitches. Even when putting a new bobbin of the same thread, I always check to make sure everything is OK.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 AM

My friend did some beautiful blocks using batiks for the fused machine applique. Some of the fabrics just wouldn't do the blanket stitch properly...kept missing stitches.

The solution was to use a very small sharp needle, size 60 and an 80 weight thread in both bottom & top. This corrected the stitching problem.

She had already tried all the other ideas suggested here and more. The quilting shop where she bought the fabrics solved the problem. Seems everyone was having the same problem with skipped stitches on a few of the fabrics.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:42 AM

If top thread stitches are not catching, try loosening your top thread tension. Remember where tension was before you adjust so you put it back to that setting when you are sewing again. For some reason, whether it be fabric or thread or Needle the thread is putting too tight to come downtown the hook of your bobbin thread to form your stitch properly. Good luck and happy stitching
Old 08-08-2014, 03:35 AM

I just had a similar problem....my machine had wayward thread worked in under the machine. Had my DH take the machine apart and cleaned out and unwound said threads and she is purring like a kitten again! May not be your problem but that is what I found!