Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ned help for a important pattern >

Ned help for a important pattern

Ned help for a important pattern

Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 AM

Appreciate your advice but I will go with the quilt. Really don't feel comfortable giving her a book on treatment. That is up to her, her dr and family as to her care. Want to give her something to give her comfort and maybe keep her mind off the cancer if only for a few minutes at a time.

[QUOTE=seasaw2mch;6841937]Ok I don't have a quite pattern idea and I might sound a little ridicule here but if you really want to do something for her that will help then try buying her a book. Any of these will do.

Cancer Step Outside the Box by Ty Bollinger
The Breast Stays Put by Pamela Hoeppner
Outsmart Your Cancer Alternative Non-Toxic Treatments That work by Tanya Harper Pierce
Cancer Free Your Guide to Gentle, non-Toxic Healing by Bill Henderson
Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM

I made my deceased husband a quilt when he was undergoing treatment. I used large squares 12". Gave each grandchild, each son and daughter and close friends a square with freezer paper ironed to the back. Out lined the area they could draw or write in. I sent colored pens for fabric along with each piece I passed out. Also gave to members of his antique car club. On a few I kept I did applique of things that interested him. Tractors (used a cub bear for Cub Cadet and a outhouse with a deer standing near for John Deere) . ETC. I ended up with enough to do two quilts. Had them quilted shadow around the writing and pictures. I also had one square left blank so others could sign it. It was quite the hit! At first he was shy about using it but he met so many people who came to look and talk. Kept his mind off the chemo he was getting. In the end he would not go anywhere without it. I still have it and am not sure who will get it when I leave this world. I guess they will have to draw straws to see who will inherit it. It was really quick with the large squares and I enjoyed the companionship I had with others while making it. Good luck in what ever you do. I know she will enjoy it as will others.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 AM

I wish I had been a quilter back then and could have made my best friend Joy a quilt. No one gave her a quilt, but I think it would have comforted her. I know I would cling to it like Linus to the blanket if it were me!

You ladies are so wonderful and caring. Whatever you make I know she will appreciate because it is from the heart.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

You are a good friend to want to make the comfort quilt. I am 5 years past diagnosis and treatment (still on a pill for 4.5 more years) and concur that not everyone wants the pink ribbons. I'm glad you are aware of this. Wishing only the best and a great outcome for your friend.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:30 PM

Being a survivor for 14 years something bright and cheery would be great. I personally do not like the pink ribbon things. Its just I've gotten so sick of seeing them everywhere that the meaning gets lost. Wish her well....
Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 PM

I would also prefer something cheerful not pink. hate the 'cancer fabrics'. I've thought about doing I spy type quilts with cutesy novelties for comfort - heck even for myself- something to look at and think about other than the chemo you know?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:00 AM

Warm Wishes is perfect. I will make one suggestion that might seem strange, but don't use pink. I have cancer and every time I see pink I think about it. I know it has become the color, but why keep reminding someone? We just found out that my BIL has cancer in his liver and it is not looking good at all. You are the definition of a true friend, stay strong for her and may your needle fly through the fabric.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:26 AM

The 10 minute quilt block is pretty and easy to put together. Just go to internet on u-tube and put in 10 minute block and there is a great tute.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 AM

I made the D9P in 8 days, start to finish, and that was in between work and all of the rest of life. It was just a baby quilt, small, maybe 50x60, something like that? But still it went really fast. Took me much longer to quilt and bind than to piece.

I hope your friend gets good news today.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 AM

sending prayers your friends way