Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long should a walking food last? >

How long should a walking food last?

How long should a walking food last?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:00 PM

Default How long should a walking food last?

I think I broke the second one I bought. I tested it with just fabric and it seems to sew just fine, but when I try to quilt with it it messes up. It started doing this all of a sudden in the middle of a quilting project. I really haven't had it very long. What am I doing wrong? I have already tried cleaning the lint out of the machine, rethreading, reinstalling the part and changing the needle.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:04 PM

Are you buying generic walking feet. I have had several and one almost 14 years, but mine are the name brand, they should not be breaking that frequently. I have yet to break one I own
Old 08-12-2014, 08:16 PM

I've had mine for at least 15 years. I had it serviced when I had my machine cleaned and updated just a month ago. Mine if a for a Bernina. What sort of problems are you having with it?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 PM

Perhaps lessening the pressure on the presser foot would help.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:21 PM

I agree. Something's wrong. You do put the little arm above the screw for the needle, right? Other than that, I'd check with your dealer to see if it's really the right foot. I've had mine for 5 years and it's still going strong. I didn't even know they could be broken.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 PM

so, You are suppose to have a walking foot serviced?

It was working fine and then it wasn't. Anyone have any idea what went wrong? If I am breaking them then how am I doing it so I don't do it again?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:51 PM

Go to a friend and watch them fit your foot on their machine and use if possible. If not trip to a dealer and watch them use your foot on your machine if possible. The later may come with a bill the first may just be a homemade cake.

Good luck.

P.s. Try just using as a foot with two layers of fabric instead of your normal foot . If it works there keep making it thicker until it plays up. I've read on here people who use their foot all the time.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

Are you getting the correct walking foot for Your machine? I have had mine for 10 years, never had a problem with it . shortly after I purchased it from the dealer ( boy, it was expensive!) I saw one for much less - bought it thinking I would return the expensive one. The ( off brand) one did not work so well, skipped & broke my needle. I decided it was not worth possibly damaging my machine and went back to using the one for my machine.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:23 AM

Don't forget that you're not suppose to sew reverse stitches with a walking foot on. It seems to mess up timing or something - either way, the needle starts hitting the walking foot and then you have to buy another one.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:24 AM

I bought a generic one and it broke after a couple of uses, I then bit the bullet and bought the brand one for my machine and I've been using it constantly for over a year with no issue. Also remember you cannot use your reverse stitch with a walking foot, you can only sew forward.