Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some advice >

Need some advice

Need some advice

Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

When you press do you pull on the fabric? I did it. Friend of mine showed me what I was doing wrong and it does make enough of a difference. Even though I starched the fabric, I pulled on the fabric because I wanted it really flat. I was wonking it as I ironed and pulled. Press and ironing are two different actions when using an iron. Also just got done watching Jenny from Missouri Star. She puts couple anchor stitches in beginning and makes sure her ends are together before she continues to sew.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:57 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried marking the 1/4 inch on each block. I use Aurifil thread. I was speaking to a friend and she suggested I use the same ruler for all my cutting. She said rulers vary...Never even thought of that. I will try again using some of your thoughts....LIKE..it's my quilt so I'm not going to worry about the quilt police.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 AM

First I want to say, stick with this wonderful craft. Don't let these little problems hold you back. It does get better! The old saying "Practice makes perfect", works only as long as you practice and are getting the same results every time.

I was making wonky blocks and it was the result of 3 different things for me.

First, I was tailing off when I got to the end of each seam, because I quit looking at it. I now use something to stabilize the seam all the way through. I usually use my left hand and a pin if I am sewing over a lot of seams. I have 2 sewing machines and the little Runway Brother is a lot worse at tailing off than the Big Brother Embroidery/Sewing machine combination. I had such problems with the tailing off that I thought about buying one of the Pfaff's with the built in walking foot that is supposed to keep the seams even, but just never got around to it, and didn't budget for it. Instead, I figured out where I had to move the needles on each of my machine to make that "perfect" first block of any project and then continue to use that setting. And, yes, it is different on both machines. I, also, use a 50wt thread for all my piecing. It really does help.

Second - One of the other things I was doing was watching my needle, instead of watching the edge of the fabric which was my guide line for where I was supposed to be sewing. I often wonder how many people do that and never manage to get a 1/4" seam. Training myself to watch that fabric edge has increased my accuracy.

Third - I was pressing with Steam. I had great flat seams but the steam distorted my fabric. Turning off the steam meant my seam wasn't quite as flat, which I found doesn't usually matter for my simple piecing, and was very helpful to keep my fabric from going wonky. "Love that word." Everyone is so right when they say it isn't the size of the seam, but the resultant block that matters.

I bought some precut kits that had to be sewn perfectly for everything to fit together. That really made me get familiar with making a 1/4" seam that worked. I ripped/unsewed a bunch but it made me a better stitcher. I still lose some points every once in a while. It does aggravate me, but I get over it.

If all else fails, take up paper piecing. You sew onto a piece of paper that has everything marked for you. The results are frequently stunning. Carol Doak has a Yahoo group and she shares a lot of free patterns. Doing the paper piecing has also made me be more careful with my stitching lines.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:12 AM

Lots of good suggestions here. Rulers and cutting are very important. Accurate sewing is a must. Thread is also important. Pressing makes such a difference. Lots of little things to master! You will get better the more you sew.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:41 AM

I use steam all the time....That just might be the problem! Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 04:46 AM

I learnt something today, shy of scant which never knew what quilt ladies talk it is moving needle over.. COOL!