Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long should a walking food last? >

How long should a walking food last?

How long should a walking food last?

Old 08-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

My walking foot on one machine kept coming apart as I used it. I ordered another specifically for my my machine. It is not exactly like the original. It works great.
My manual says to not go fast with the walking foot on. I think with the original foot I did go too fast several times. I try now not to go too fast. Slower speed it does sew better. Remembering is my problem.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I had to go get a new walking foot for it because my grandmother sewed, but only did hand quilting. At the store they had to go in back and dig for the part and if I want a FMQ foot they have to special order it. My next question is this. Do sewing machines get so old that you finally can't find parts for them?
You don't say what model your Bernina is, nor whether the store you went to is a Bernina dealer, but I certainly wouldn't call a 1980's Bernina a dinosaur, especially within hearing distance of the machine.

No Bernina dealer worth their salt will have any trouble at all getting parts, especially feet, for a machine of that vintage. Bernina has 'old' style feet and 'new' style feet. I believe 'new' is post 1996? Anyway, the old ones have black numbers and a round back and the new ones have red numbers and a square back with a notch in it.

As a side note, you'd be wise to get the machine cleaned and serviced before you use it too heavily.

Regarding the other walking foot, if you give us more details, we might be able to narrow down what the problem with it is. What part of it is breaking? Are you loosening the foot pressure before sewing as recommended for most walking feet? If the problem is operator error, it could be transferred to your new, expensive, walking foot and you definitely don't want that to happen.

I have walking feet (brand) for both a Viking (1989) and a Bernina (2001). Both work as well as they did right out of the box.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:20 AM

Well what I finally did was plug in my old, but new to me classic bernina that was my grandmothers. First of all even though its a dinosaur from the 80's this machine is far superior and you can tell right away. I'm all excited about the whole thing. The sad thing is the needle on it was broken and was never replaced. At some point it broke for her and she was done and never said anything to anyone. I had to go get a new walking foot for it because my grandmother sewed, but only did hand quilting. At the store they had to go in back and dig for the part and if I want a FMQ foot they have to special order it. My next question is this. Do sewing machines get so old that you finally can't find parts for them?

Also this walking foot did cost as much as my cheap brother machine, so it better last or I will be upset.

Thank you so much for all your replies.
Yes, machines do get so old it is hard to find parts. I have a Viking 6460 from 1976 that I can no longer get parts for. It is a wonderful machine and I have sewn miles and miles with it. The only parts that I can find are from other machines that have something else broken on them. Fortunately, I have had it serviced and taken good care of it over the years so it's still going but I know the handwriting is on the wall that if something goes wrong chances are good it can't be fixed.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:48 AM

My backup machine is a 1980's Bernina , model is 1010, that still performs perfectly. They are great machines and you will really enjoy sewing on it. I have the walking foot that is specific to that machine, it was pricey but still working perfectly after all these years....and my dealer can find the parts without any problem. Enjoy it!
Old 08-14-2014, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
You don't say what model your Bernina is, nor whether the store you went to is a Bernina dealer, but I certainly wouldn't call a 1980's Bernina a dinosaur, especially within hearing distance of the machine.

No Bernina dealer worth their salt will have any trouble at all getting parts, especially feet, for a machine of that vintage. Bernina has 'old' style feet and 'new' style feet. I believe 'new' is post 1996? Anyway, the old ones have black numbers and a round back and the new ones have red numbers and a square back with a notch in it.

As a side note, you'd be wise to get the machine cleaned and serviced before you use it too heavily.

Regarding the other walking foot, if you give us more details, we might be able to narrow down what the problem with it is. What part of it is breaking? Are you loosening the foot pressure before sewing as recommended for most walking feet? If the problem is operator error, it could be transferred to your new, expensive, walking foot and you definitely don't want that to happen.

I have walking feet (brand) for both a Viking (1989) and a Bernina (2001). Both work as well as they did right out of the box.
Well I didn't know about loosening the foot pressure and my manual says nothing about it.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:38 AM

I haven't opened up many walking feet, but that is where the moving parts are. I once purchased a Penguin walking foot made for the Singer Featherweight at a garage sale. It did not move correctly, and the problem was that the spring on the inside had detached. Once it was put back in place, it worked. The problem I have had with other walking feet is that the plastic shank eventually breaks. Given the choice, a metal shank is a better buy.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Do sewing machines get so old that you finally can't find parts for them?
I have a 1975 Singer & my authorized dealer doesn't have any issues getting me parts for it. On occasion they might not be actual Singer-branded parts, but they always find parts that are supported for my machine (i.e., if they don't work properly, I can exchange them & when I bring my machine in for repair/cleaning, they don't have any issues with those feet). All of the original parts/accessories for the machine are always easy for them to get, but, for example, Singer never made a walking foot or a satin stitching foot for my machine, so we went with a Singer-recommended 3rd party vendor that specializes in these after-market parts. I've had the walking foot for over 5 years & no issues with it.
I think availability all depends on how long a particular model of machine lives for. If a lot of the machines like yours are still in good working order 20, 30 or 40 years from now, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to locate replacement parts for it.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:15 PM

I've had mine for over 20 years and it i still going strong.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The IDT feature of the Pfaffs is worth its weight in gold. I can disengage it when it is not useful/needed. (Models 1471, 1473 - late 1980s)

I can sew backwards or forwards and do decorative stitches with (or without) it being engaged.
I gave my 1473 to a friend when my husband bought me the 7570. It also has the IDT on it, in fact, I think all Pfaffs do. Maybe not the very latest, I don't know about them. But I know I love it
Old 08-15-2014, 08:13 AM

My first one broke. It was a generic but almost exactly like my Janome. I think I may have been rough with it. (No I did NOT throw it across the room in a fit! But might have wanted to a couple times LOL) The toes/feet part had a welded bit and one of the bits broke off so now it flops loose on one side. Maybe just the pressure of going over seams? Unclear.

I bought a mfgr foot from Janome and it has different open and closed toes which is really nice, and they snap on to the man body of the foot. Slick!