Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Babylock Tiara bobbin problem >

Babylock Tiara bobbin problem

Babylock Tiara bobbin problem

Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Exclamation Babylock Tiara bobbin problem

Hello, I am knew to Long arm Quilting. I just bought a used Babylock Tiara from a friend who upgraded to an Avante on a frame. I've been trying to practice, but I am having a problem with the bobbin. I'm sewing along at a comfortable speed. I stop to check out the back and everything looks great! I start up again and my bobbin makes a noise. I stop machine, pull bobbin out, and find the thread came out of the tension slit and is wrapped around the post inside the case! How does that happen? What am I doing wrong?
I contacted the shop where she purchased it (last Nov) and they won't help me. They said if I bought it used, there's no warranty. I just wanted to know if I was using the correct thread, needle, etc.
I then logged on to Babylocks website, sent them an email... They won't give me a clue without looking at it. Huh?
I don't think it needs repair. It worked fine until I slow down or make a loop.
Can anyone help me??? Please?
Old 08-15-2014, 03:51 AM

That sounds like it is a backlash problem. I have a HQ Sweet Sixteen and had the same issue. I understand the machines we have are the same. HQ Tech Support helped me with this. If your bobbin case doesn't look like mine in the picture, this won't help you. If you decide to try this, please note the bolded portion below. I took these pictures when my machine was having the issue you described. Sometimes it created a ball of thread like shown, and sometimes it was just a strand wrapped around the center post of the bobbin case. Inside your bobbin case you will see a flat piece of metal shaped like a sort of hook or semi circle which is called a backlash spring. It applies pressure on the bobbin and when adjusted properly, applies just enough pressure to prevent the bobbin from over spinning in the bobbin case. There is an adjustment screw that you can adjust from the outside of the case to increase the pressure the spring applies to the bobbin. Try adjusting it in SMALL increments at a time and retrying your stitching to see if you can get it so it doesn't backlash on you. When you adjust it, do so with the bobbin in the case and hold the case with the open face facing upwards. When you turn the screw you should see the bobbin raise a little in the case. Replace the bobbin into the machine, bring your thread up to the top. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO SEW always make sure you can pull the bobbin thread freely from the bobbin case while it is in place in the machine. If you can't, you have adjusted it too high and you will damage your machine if you attempt to sew with it. You would need to remove the bobbin case from the machine and turn the screw back and reduce the pressure on the bobbin.

Other suggestions I was offered include using Magic Genie Bobbin Washers, which I've never tried, so can't attest to their success.

Hope this helps you, I know how frustrating it can be.

just a clarification...the screw you adjust is not the one you see holding the spring inside the bobbin case, but is the screw that is accessed from the outside of the case recessed on the back of it. Just another note...I didn't have this problem with my machine when I first got it, but it showed up when I switched to a new thread that was much finer than anything else I'd used before, I.e. Superior's Bottomline which I think is a 60 weight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1428
Size:	564.5 KB
ID:	487688  

Last edited by Kwiltr; 08-15-2014 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-15-2014, 03:59 AM

We have a different brand machine but we now use Glide pre-wound bobbins with a very small magnet on them and have never had an issue since-you may want to try them
Old 08-15-2014, 05:02 AM

There is a fabulous group of HQ sit down quilters at this website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HQ_Sit_down_Model
They never fail to help with a problem. Check it out and join, you'll be glad that you did.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:39 PM

Yes! This my problem! Thank you! I will try this!