Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • left over batting >
  • left over batting

• left over batting

Old 08-15-2014, 10:53 PM

By all means, don't waste that leftover batting! I use the fusible tape described above.
    Old 08-16-2014, 07:50 AM
    Power Poster

I piece mine with iron on tape...Works well...
    Old 08-16-2014, 10:23 AM

For the most part I use the same batting in most quilts. Then, When I piece them the "new" batt is the same and quilts the same. Do be careful about mixing batting types because different batts quilt differently. I also use my leftovers in a variety of small projects. But, I never let it go to waste as it is too expensive. Another thing I am working on that uses batting scraps is to make a stitch and motif album for use when I need to choose batting, threads or quilting motifs. I am having fun doing that.
    Old 08-17-2014, 02:06 PM

I have a fairly large collection of batting scrapes and I did no know what to do with them. Now I know-- Thanks to everyone.
    Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 AM

you sure can. I was making a cover for my heating pad (all on the serger) this weekend and wanted to quilt part of it. I took two long pieces side by side and then since I was doing decorative stitching that would require stabilizer I placed the batting on top of that and serged (using cover stitch) them together. You can do the same with a zig zag stitch. It turned out great and now my heating pad that litterly stays out on the sofa constantly matches my throw cushions. It looks so much nicer than that blue thin bag that they are covered with. Now I'm making a zebra print one for my daughter, who is only 25 but her heating pad stays out constantly too. If you got to use it might as well make it look good
    Old 08-18-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by pyffer3
    I have several pieces of batting -- 15-24 inches by 72. Can I piece these together to make one large one to use in a quilt? And how would I do that?
    thanks,
    Absolutely. I whip stitch the pieces together usually, but as much as you have I'd probably zigzag it together. There's also tape you can iron on to hold the pieces together, but I'd never spend that much to hold scraps together.
    Old 08-18-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I have a question about this, I know that Poly batting will melt if ironed, is it ok to iron 80/20 batting will the Poly in it melt?
    I have several bolts of 100% cotton for myself, but the guild that I belong to bought a poly and with a cooler iron it worked just fine (don't ask me how I "remembered" to lower the iron temperature - lol)
    Old 08-18-2014, 03:52 PM

I feel horrible admitting this, but I have a million tons (okay, not that much, but it feels like that much) of leftover batting. I cannot stand piecing batting but I feel guilty throwing it away so I just keep jamming more leftover pieces into containers. It really is ridiculous but I despise sewing them together...I need to just donate it already.